Wicked Snow Storm...

Pics

llombardo

Crowing
Mar 11, 2018
Illinois
a large tree branch took out my run. I have tree branches down everywhere. There is no electric, no water(well) and I have chickens in my bedroom and ducks in the bathroom...it was not a good night at all. All that work on the run to get ready for winter for nothing. Was doing ok until that dam tree branch came down. The birds are at least safe. The duck even laid an egg in the bathtub.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

I was in that run gathering birds as I listened to tree branches snapping everywhere. I thought I was going to get hit with one I swear. I stuffed four ducks in a med size carrier and on another trip the four younger chickens. Then two more trips for the other three. It's not an ideal set up, but they are safe. I was able to fill dog water boels and give the chickens their water before the water ran out.

The EE actually laid an egg and right now I hear them singing, so another one laid an egg. I got to get a couple nest boxes in their, try to connect all the crates to give them more room, but first I have to get to the bedding that is outside with everything frozen around it.

I really don't want to go out there in the cold and come in to the cold, so I have to wait for the electric/heat to go back on, which there are no signs of happeni g in the near future.

I was afraid to let my dogs out. Here is the other side of my yard. I got slit f work ahead of me, no one to help and some cold temps. All these trees might wait to spring to be moved. I got rabbits in the run. The water is almost frozen, but I'm sure they will eat snow. Can't really check on them without getting soaking wet.

image.jpg

llombardo,

I had to click "like" on your first post -- not because of the devastation you faced -- because of the way you have moved your babies into your bedroom and bathtub. You are a good poultry parent, for sure!!

This last storm has been weird. Here in northern Iowa, we got nothing while southern Iowa and, obviously your part of Illinois, got it bad. Usually, it's just the opposite in Iowa. You absolutely have my empathy and my best wishes for recovery and the future!

So sorry, what a mess! Can you get a portable generator, if the power is going to be out very long? At least to get the water and heat, and keep the frig cold. I'm glad none of those branches landed on you!
Our farm insurance paid for tree removal and coop roof repairs a couple of years ago. It won't hurt to ask, at least.
Mary

So sorry, what a mess! Can you get a portable generator, if the power is going to be out very long? At least to get the water and heat, and keep the frig cold. I'm glad none of those branches landed on you!
Our farm insurance paid for tree removal and coop roof repairs a couple of years ago. It won't hurt to ask, at least.
Mary

My insurance won't cover it, called them this morning. The township may take care of the branches that fell across the road.

I can't afford a generator right now, but it's defintely something I'm going to look into. We have never had a power outage last this long. My friend just told me they have like three of thrm at work, but we are closed today so that don't help. I'm in my car warming up. I want to take a nap but I got a million things running through my head right now. Mainly how I'm going to clean all this up with no help.

I doubt I will put the chickens back out until I can get all the trees cut. I'm trying to figure out a cost effective way to add a roof on this run(after the trees are no longer an issue).

Back
Top Bottom