Wide stance/enlarged hips

Pics

Ourgosling22

Songster
Mar 20, 2022
Central texas
Hi everyone-
Thought I’d try again to see if anyone who hasn’t seen might have an opinion.
One of my 2 young goslings has a wide stance/looks like enlarged hips. Struggling to find the cause and what I can do if anything. A vet has been unsuccessful due to no knowledge on birds like this. He walks sloppily and does seem to tire on occasion. I’ve been giving him liquid b12 and feed flockraiser with nutritional yeast. I have a video which shows we’ll what I’m talking about but trying to figure out how to post.

I think the reason why Miss Lydia is saying not to put it in water is they will never drink all their water before it gets dirty, and so they'll never get the full dosage. That's why it's better on treats or feed. Have you tried watermelon? It soaks up the liquid pretty well. I used a stretchy sock to hold my ducks wings in place - also cutting the protein in their diet a bit.
20230513_090301.jpg

Hi everyone-
Thought I’d try again to see if anyone who hasn’t seen might have an opinion.
One of my 2 young goslings has a wide stance/looks like enlarged hips. Struggling to find the cause and what I can do if anything. A vet has been unsuccessful due to no knowledge on birds like this. He walks sloppily and does seem to tire on occasion. I’ve been giving him liquid b12 and feed flockraiser with nutritional yeast. I have a video which shows we’ll what I’m talking about but trying to figure out how to post.
@Goosebaby @Miss Lydia
Some questions that might help to get help
where did you get the babies
how old are they now
when did the problem show up
what breed are they or unknown which is ok.
pictures can help also.

@Goosebaby @Miss Lydia
Some questions that might help to get help
where did you get the babies
how old are they now
when did the problem show up
what breed are they or unknown which is ok.
pictures can help also.
I’m working on making a link. May be tomorrow before I can post.
-My son bought them from the local big name feed store where he worked.
-Unfortunately the way they are displayed they are mixed with other goslings so I don’t know what breed they are.
-I’m estimating they are about 6-7 weeks old.
-The problems really became noticeable to me about 3 weeks ago which I’ve been struggling with finding answers by researching, reading articles and asking and posting pics and questions on BYC.
I thought strongly at first that it was a niacin deficiency but have been on top of it by giving him liquid vit b12 and giving them nutritional yeast at every feeding. I tried to get the durvet b complex but it was unavailable so that’s when I got the liquid b12 instead. Didn’t want to waste any time trying to help him. I’m thinking of ordering it now that we are discussing this.
-I have posted pictures of him but will do again. I will need to do tomorrow while we are outside, I couldn’t get a good view of his stance. He has also feathered out since.

Vitamin B12 will not treat Niacin deficiency You need B complex TSC carries Durvet Liquid B complex and it would be a good idea to start your gosling on this 1 ml daily over a yummy treat just a small amount of treat so you see he is getting full dose. Nutritional yeast is good for supplementing niacin but even when we give it seems we can still have one that comes up with Niacin def. I may be wrong but since we're not vets we have to eliminate and niacin def is always at the top of the list.

The liquid B complex will say injectable but we use it orally.

Sure looks like it could be a niacin deficiency. I would rewrap that wing so it lays in a normal position against his body. Shouldn't take longer than a week to correct it.

Very pretty flock ❤️
This video was taken a few days ago. His wings look a whole lot better now thanks to the wrapping.😊
Thank you for the compliment. Everyone is white! Lol

I have made a hobble for a gosling last year that couldn’t get up or walk at all-kept falling onto his back. I was able to fix that for him but he also had other problems. This gosling that I am trying to help is more bowlegged and a little pigeon toed but is able to get up and walk but just slightly awkward. This situation was not noticeable until about 3 weeks or so ago. I’ve thought of hobbling him but worry if I it would be doing him more harm than good. It still doesn’t fix his enlarged hip areas which the vet had called a developmental issue. (She didn’t go into detail) I’m giving him vit b complex to treat as a deficiency.

How are your goslings?
Hi-they seem to be doing ok. I’ve got them outside now with the others. In coop I put them in a crate by themselves overnight so I can monitor their feeding. Also to give the flock more time to get used to them. The goslings are still small compared to the others. Gelato still lays down from time to time. So I’m putting either rooster booster poultry cell or vitamin b complex in their water. I really need to give it directly in his mouth. I may do that for couple more days. Any thoughts?
Adding a picture of them I just took. The two babies are in the foreground. Gelato is on the right.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    981.6 KB · Views: 4
Vitamin B12 will not treat Niacin deficiency You need B complex TSC carries Durvet Liquid B complex and it would be a good idea to start your gosling on this 1 ml daily over a yummy treat just a small amount of treat so you see he is getting full dose. Nutritional yeast is good for supplementing niacin but even when we give it seems we can still have one that comes up with Niacin def. I may be wrong but since we're not vets we have to eliminate and niacin def is always at the top of the list.

The liquid B complex will say injectable but we use it orally.
@Miss Lydia Hoping you won’t mind my hijacking this post. Can’t find the one I want to question! I got some liquid B Complex for my goslings but they hate the taste! Tried to give about 1/2 cc each on their favorite lettuce but they just tasted and shook their heads. One may have a touch of Angel wing and they just seem a bit wobbly for 4 1/2 weeks old. Tend to sit a lot, but also do lots of zooming. Don’t swim anywhere near as much as the ducklings. They’re my first geese so don’t know how to compare. The ducklings with them seem so much more hardy and are already almost fully feathered while the goslings are still mostly down. If I put the b complex in their waterer, what would be the rate per gallon? And it will be ok for the ducklings? None of them have any issues. All same hatch date.

Back
Top Bottom