Wierd behavior, fatigued and sluggish?

6RandomBrownLayers

Chirping
8 Years
Nov 23, 2011
Hello, here's the deal: My Delaware pullet is almost seven months old and today I noticed she wasn't with the other hens free ranging. I looked around and feared the worst, a something took her or she got hit by a car. Well I found her away from the road ans safe, standing next to these cement blocks I have. She was standing stone still with her tail almost horizontal, it wasn't up like all the other pullets. I got to her and picked her up and when I put her down she ran away like she usually does. I tried to get her again and she wouldn't let me (which is normal) and when I stopped chasing her she did the same thing, stood still and let her tail droop. I pulled out some scratch and she ate it with all the other pullets but I noticed she was doing it again by the water fount. I don't really know what's going on, she seems to be okay except for that. All the other hens are fine. It's just not like any of them to stand still for so long, I thought she was one of the blocks. By the way, when I was watching her by the fount, I noticed she would close her eyes and her head would start to droop, like what they did when they were chicks. Is she just tired? Any help is appreciated.

It sounds weird, but I had a pullet do the same thing over the summer, so I Googled "droopy chickens" and giving them live culture plain yogurt was suggested often. I gave it a try and it did the trick (well, either that or she just happened to get better right after I gave it to her). It can't hurt anyway. I hope she's back to normal soon!

She just laid a shell-less egg so I hope that is what it was. She seems to be laying those more often than I would like. It isn't just the odd one or two, it can be up to 2 or 3 a week.

reviving this thread, as i've got a 11-12 week old Delaware pullet who's also being oddly quiet/moody/sluggish -- she's still eating and drinking, but spends most of her time roosting on a favorite branch or settled down in a corner of the run, and didn't join her flockmates when i let them out for some free-ranging this afternoon. her eyes are clear, and she doesn't seem ill in any way -- just super-quiet, since yesterday.

they all get unfiltered apple cider in their water regularly, which i changed out for fresh this morning, as well as plain yogurt 3-4 times a week -- and it's actually cooler today than in a long time, only in the high 70s or so -- so i'm a bit mystified? should i just keep an eye on her & hope that she perks up?

thanks in advance for any thoughts you might have?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom