Wierd eye chick

Reawsphant01

Songster
May 14, 2020
Amersham, London, United Kingdom
Hello, I have recently had baby chicks in my flock and it doesnt seem to well... I have another chicken in the flock who has mycoplasma gallisepticum (mg), and so I gave her antibiotics for 3-5 days and she went back to normal. Now, my chick eats and drinks fine, however he always stands still while his mother and his siblings roam about. So I caught him and I saw this in this eye (photo attached) I think he caught mg aswell, so shall I also give him antibiotics or is he too small. He is about 3 weeks old. Please help, all comment would help.

Attachments

• IMG-20200528-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20200528-WA0001.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG-20200528-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20200528-WA0003.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 16
Hello, I have recently had baby chicks in my flock and it doesnt seem to well... I have another chicken in the flock who has mycoplasma gallisepticum (mg), and so I gave her antibiotics for 3-5 days and she went back to normal. Now, my chick eats and drinks fine, however he always stands still while his mother and his siblings roam about. So I caught him and I saw this in this eye (photo attached) I think he caught mg aswell, so shall I also give him antibiotics or is he too small. He is about 3 weeks old. Please help, all comment would help.
If you are dealing with MG in your flock, then it's very possible the chick contracted it.
Getting some testing through your vet, state or agricultural lab would be the best way to determine the cause.

What antibiotic do you have for treating MG? If something like Tylan(Tylosin) or Tetracycline, then yes, I would use those to treat the chick. I would also keep the eye flushed out with saline a few times a day an apply an eye ointment.

MG is contagious and makes birds carriers for life even if they seem to get "better". Keeping a closed flock is always a good idea until you get confirmation of the illness you are dealing with.

Back
Top Bottom