Wierd funk

Trinitymja

Hatching
Aug 21, 2016
Let me start by saying Im a horse person, so my descriptions reflect my knowledge there and the only way I know to describe what is wrong. I am new to chickens, but I am having a blast.

Two of my chickens- a hen and my roo have what feels like the crusty stuff horses who have rainrot get. Its at the base of their feathers. IS this what molting does? Does the feather get kinda crusty at the base and then falls off? Or is it fungus like when the horses get it on their bodies? Its only in a few spots

And
the roo has lost a lot of feathers on his bum and looks kinda like he has what I would call "foal scours skin"... the skin looks raw and mottled. He doesn't seem sore, and there isn't crusted manure on his bum, but he's lost all the hair. He's still eating and healthy and none of the other chickens have anything like it

So... are my chickens starting to molt and since I've never seen it I am being irrational? Or is something going on?

Welcome to BYC.

Can you post some photos of what you are seeing?

x2 on the photos!

If you've got "poopy butt" (as it's officially called in the chicken world, ha!), that can be a symptom of worms. You can treat that with Valbazen liquid goat wormer.

If you're seeing something that looks like a cluster of Styrofoam at the base of the feathers, those can be nits/eggs of lice or mites. You can treat that with a little Viper or Sevin garden dust.

A picture is worth 1,000 words! :)

MrsB

Ok, here is the pic of my roo's hind end. I hate to share pics like this but hopefully someone can help.
Still nothing on my girls. they all seem happy and healthy, although so does the roo, other than his bum.

It looks like he may have a wound from pecking/picking. Observe your other chickens to see if they are picking at him or if he is picking at himself.

The scabbing is from a slight wound (most likely from picking), so you will want to heal that up. If flies lay eggs on that he can get what is called Flystrike - you don't want that.

Soak his bum in a warm bath of epsom salts. Dry. Apply some triple antibiotic ointment or Vetericyn. If you notice the others picking at him, then apply some Pick-No-More or Blu-Kote.
He does look like he has some feathers trying to come back in, so he could be starting to molt as well.

Check him over for any lice/mites - you would most likely see them around the vent (which I don't see), under the wings, etc.

For molt, providing a higher protein feed like all flock/flock raiser or feather fixer formula is good. Offer oyster shells free choice for your laying hens. Roosters really don't need all the extra calcium that is in layer feed. If layer feed is all you have, then offer some protein like hard boiled egg, tuna, mackerel or meat.

Let us know how they are doing.

Thank you! I have blue-kote, Triple, epsom salts, and vetricyn in my horse first aid stuff.

Im almost positive he doesn' t have lice or mites, but keep checking him daily.

All my chickens have free choice oyster shell crumblies, so I'm good there.

I'll try the other suggestions.

Poor dude has had it rough since I got him. He's from a trade from my last rooster who was super mean. he's really easy going and I like him, but I don't like that my girls are litterally kicking his butt!

Thank you all so much. At least its something I feel like I can help out.

Last edited:
Thank you! I have blue-kote and vetricyn in my horse first aid stuff.

Im almost positive he doesn' t have lice or mites, but keep checking him daily.

All my chickens have free choice oyster shell crumblies, so I'm good there.

I'll try the other suggestions.

Poor dude has had it rough since I got him. He's from a trade from my last rooster who was super mean. he's really easy going and I like him, but I don't like that my girls are litterally kicking his butt!

Thank you all so much. At least its something I feel like I can help out.
Anytime a Chicken sees or causes a red area on another bird they continue to peck at it....
Glad you have the sprays...Should help!

Cheers!

Anytime a Chicken sees or causes a red area on another bird they continue to peck at it....
Glad you have the sprays...Should help!

Cheers!
ach! You learn something new every day! Will make sure to get him cleaned up... poor kid. :(

Guess that makes sense since sometimes they peck at my nails when i paint them pink!

Back
Top Bottom