WIERD MATING RITUAL

Status
Not open for further replies.

destinduck

obsessed with "ducks"
11 Years
Mar 20, 2008
n.w.FLORIDA
Today I had a pair of canvasback do the whole mating dance complete with the male throwing his head back and the female laying perfectly still with her head down and then actually copulation. Only wierd thing was ...It was all done on the ground. Crazy huh?

I don't blame her.... I feel sorry for my poor Crested Pekin females, they get half drowned during theirs in the water plus they are missing part of their puff.....
wink.png
Taken advantage of and messed up hair do

...could have something to do with access to water. I don't see much in the way of ramps into your kiddie pools. How do the ducks get in and out?

LOL! Chickenzoo. To Dr Todd: Are you being serious this time.? With you no one can be sure.

edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm asking you a question. How do they get in and out? You may be seeing land matings because it's too hard for divers to get into the water.

Fair enough. They get in and out very easily. All my birds have never had a problem getting out of the different sized kiddie pools including the divers I keep .Except i have to be careful to keep the pools full during molt. The same cans also bred in the water this year.And last year I got 4 babies off this pair. I showed the babies off to some BYCers that came by to get birds off me.

They have never had a problem getting in.I dont worry about it much because I have only had a white-faced treeduck dead in one of them one time during molt. I truly dont know if he was sick and died anyway but I assumed it was molt and low water level. Although you would think a healthy strong bird could get out with the water being only3-4 inches low.Either way I do not want to put anything in the pools because I like for them to dive around and play in it freely . I would like to get a pond dug as my son wants ruddies this year

edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator:
My good friend Chris LaGerould aka White Feather Farm breeds TONS of ruddies, well over 50 this year. He's one of the only guys I know capable of breeding and rearing such challenging ducks.

So let me get this straight: You would rather risk a possible drowning by not providing a ramp rather than putting a ramp that could prevent a potential drowning? I do not get this logic. A well placed ramp would not take up all that much room and would be highly beneficial to your waterfowl, from a safety standpoint and a breeding standpoint.

Dr you must be off your meds again ! .And for Dbagosauras you are a so called "new egg" with the great DR. So I pointed at your name, scrolled down and went to" all posts" then I clicked. Anyone that wants to do this CAN .Yes YES That IS what I thought. WhyYes you can look up any ones posts (including mine) and form your own opinion about that person. Uh oh Dr Todd I know you want to be like me So now you better get real busy with that edit button. But you wont mind of course If I sit this one out. Oh wait!!! Sorry you CANT be like me anyway.Youre one of those pesky internet phantoms that people like me dont take much stock in! Your quote says it all. Better hurry and edit that one too! There might still be hope for you two (or one in this case
lau.gif
) or whatever
gig.gif
. I LOVE BYC !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom