WIERD......

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by shastagoose, Jul 22, 2008.

1. shastagoose

shastagoose Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2008
    OK.. This is WIERD.....[​IMG] My Americauna has always layed green eggs. TODAY.. she plopped out a brown one..[​IMG]. Is this normal? Hmmmmmmm.

2. silkieluvr

silkieluvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2007
    Marin, California
    [​IMG] I have never heard of that before,, i'm definately following this thread...

3. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    If you really want an answer, you should change the title to indicate the nature of the question to get the right people to read your question. I'm no expert but my understanding was that a green egg was a brown egg with a blue overlay, so your chicken just missed the overlay today. I'm sure there will be someone along to prove me wrong on this, but that's ok, I'm willing to learn.

4. chickens4jojo

chickens4jojo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    Upstate South Carolina
    Oh wow~~none of my Ameraucanas ever did that. How unusual...but cool! [​IMG]

5. ashyannehand

ashyannehand Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Wade, Mississippi
    Got me?!?! [​IMG]

I can't wait to see what other have to say about this one.

6. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    I think jenjscott hit it on the head.

If a hen can lay a shell less egg, or a very thin shelled egg (meaning it passed through too quickly to get the proper amount of shell laid down), it just makes sense that a very thin shelled egg in a chicken that usually lays green eggs would result in a brown egg.

That is, if you are sure you don't have any brown egg layers in your flock, or something more obvious like that...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by