Wiggling Emu Eggs

AgnesGray

Free Ranging
5 Years
Mar 8, 2019
Ohio, US
My Coop
My Coop
One of my emu eggs has started wiggling. I have read that they can wiggle really early. Do they continue to wiggle until they hatch generally?

I had one that was wiggling 4 days ago, but has been quiet since then. I don't know exactly what day they are on, but they have been in my incubator for 40 days at this point (previously were under their dad).

First order of the day is setting up a brooder!!!
:wee
113ADDC4-E841-4490-9C44-A1F8C4733745.jpeg

Oooo now it’s time to imprint on the little bugger :love
Any suggestions for the best and healthiest way to do that? I want to sit and hold him all day, but s/he seemed to be cold when we tried that so is back under a heat plate with a stuffie toy that s/he seems to like resting their head on.

IMG_1784.jpg

064ADE9F-B058-4BBF-B4A3-FDDF780B024A.jpg

Do you do DNA testing? I have read mixed opinions of sexing by the pattern on their head.
The head pattern for sexing doesn’t work. I dna all the chicks just so people know what they’re getting. It really is handy to know what they are. It costs about $15 and postage, but worth it.

@AgnesGray
I remembered that I used this with both my Call ducks and my last batch of chicks, and I thought of you:
View attachment 3392203

It's way too expensive for what it is, but there are DIY options. It's larger than it looks.
This little one would love that! I let her (until proven otherwise) hang out with me on the couch with a heating pad and she always ends up between the heating pad and my chin. So adorable

F8B012CD-E00A-475A-A865-98CDE741D3F6.jpeg

1982EBAC-C941-47C7-80BD-719DF5E918E7.jpeg

One of my emu eggs has started wiggling. I have read that they can wiggle really early. Do they continue to wiggle until they hatch generally?

I had one that was wiggling 4 days ago, but has been quiet since then. I don't know exactly what day they are on, but they have been in my incubator for 40 days at this point (previously were under their dad).
Anywhere from 32 days up to hatch, they should be wiggling. At 40 days the wiggles will be noticeable. If the chick/egg isn’t wiggling when checking it, pull it back out a couple hours later to check again. Whistling and light taps will normally get them to move a bit. It’s possible that the little one could be sleeping while youre checking.

I use an object on top of the egg to help see the wiggles.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom