Wiggling pekin duck eggs at day 18!!!!?!?!?

Mrichard0930

Songster
7 Years
Sep 15, 2016
4 eggs in incubator 1 is wiggling like crazy for 5 mins now I still have over a week to go. I candled on day 15 and wasn’t planning to again until day 24. Is this normal ? Thanks

4 eggs in incubator 1 is wiggling like crazy for 5 mins now I still have over a week to go. I candled on day 15 and wasn’t planning to again until day 24. Is this normal ? Thanks
Did you calibrate an additional thermometer to check your temp?
It may be running too high.
But yes, I've had them start wiggling early. Candle in a couple days to check and be sure there aren't any internal pips, but otherwise proceed as normal. They should be fine.

I did not and the first few days incubating my temp fluctuated quite a bit 98-100 - the first time I did this was summer time and the temp was perfect so I added a heat lamp near the incubator since our house is 61 and only put a thermometer next to incubator to ensure the temp doesn’t go below 63 out outside. Since the first few days it’s been between 99-100. So if the temp at some points was closer to 100 which it has been here and there will they hatch earlier and be alive and normal ? I plan on candling few days. I turn them 5-6 times a day. Thanks

I did not and the first few days incubating my temp fluctuated quite a bit 98-100 - the first time I did this was summer time and the temp was perfect so I added a heat lamp near the incubator since our house is 61 and only put a thermometer next to incubator to ensure the temp doesn’t go below 63 out outside. Since the first few days it’s been between 99-100. So if the temp at some points was closer to 100 which it has been here and there will they hatch earlier and be alive and normal ? I plan on candling few days. I turn them 5-6 times a day. Thanks
Oh. If you didn't calibrate one there is no way to know what the temp actually has been/is. You can't trust the built in thermometer in your incubator, they're almost always incorrect.
What kind of incubator?
Ok. 👍

Oh. If you didn't calibrate one there is no way to know what the temp actually has been/is. You can't trust the built in thermometer in your incubator, they're almost always incorrect.
What kind of incubator?
Ok. 👍
Brinsea mini only used it one other time and hatched 2 out of 4. I have four again hoping to get 2. So is this not looking good if one is wiggling already ? What happens if the temps off will they be like hatching early and all deformed or just die in egg ?

Brinsea mini only used it one other time and hatched 2 out of 4. I have four again hoping to get 2. So is this not looking good if one is wiggling already ? What happens if the temps off will they be like hatching early and all deformed or just die in egg ?
Ok. Well, before hatching in it again, be sure to check it with a calibrated thermometer.
Well, it could be a little ahead of schedule. But it should be ok, just keep an eye on them. I'd candle every other day until lockdown just to see where they are in development. Watch for internal pipping, if you see internal pipping lock them down, no matter what day they're on. You can post candling pics here to confirm whether they are internally pipped if you want.

Ok. Well, before hatching in it again, be sure to check it with a calibrated thermometer.
Well, it could be a little ahead of schedule. But it should be ok, just keep an eye on them. I'd candle every other day until lockdown just to see where they are in development. Watch for internal pipping, if you see internal pipping lock them down, no matter what day they're on. You can post candling pics here to confirm whether they are internally pipped if you want.
Crap I’m going to be away from 1 pm day 25 until 9 pm day 26 now I’m nervous because I was just going to have my husband turn them and check humidity water ..😫! Ok thanks because I have no idea what internal pip looks like I only know external. What is the earliest day a pekin Duck would hatch this is crazy

I figured I’d start lockdown day 26 at 9pm when I Got home- day 1 started at 2 pm so I figured 7 hour delay isn’t too bad but now I’m nervous he’ll need to lock them down and not even know it

Back
Top Bottom