Wild bird eggs - NO I didn't take them **UPDATE**

Quote:
If you have raise parrot , them you have the know how, remember robins eat alot of worms not grain, so high protien, get meal worms.

good luck

Quote:
no mud in the nest, robin use mud.....my guess starlings...

Sorry hadn't read all the post..guess you know that.

Last edited:
Thank you, and oh there's lots of mud in the nest, it's just all laced into the bottom so you can't see it. Some of the mud cracked off when the truck driver removed the nest. Fingers crossed for robins!!! Hehe

Quote:
Good to know, thank you - but, I do have a ton of eggs, could I substitute for the protein with more hard boiled egg yolk?

Quote:
Thank you, actually I also hand-fed some baby perigrine falcons in a propagation project when I was a teenager - we just fed them ground quail though!!! I have no idea if that's standard for feeding falcons, I trusted my falconry instructor. I should post pics of those... they were adorable...

I use the starling diet. you can find it here http://starlingtalk.com/babycare.htm I wouldn't feed mealworms because they can crawl back up the throat and they are more fat than they are protein. The external skin could be hard to digest also. Of course no earthworms since they could carry gapeworm. They suggest cat food brands like innova. You need to get a brand that has meat as the first ingredient, turkey, chicken, etc. I wouldn't use the rice baby cereals. You need to add the calcium tablet (tums) as the site suggests, because the calcium is a very important part of the diet. Now... I'm going to list the problems I've had with this diet (not the diet itself but the way you prepare it). If you decide to feed them with a syringe (I do just because it's quicker and you know how much each bird is getting) you need to grind the cat food up in a coffee grinder first. It will NOT get through the syringe if there are chunks of cat food. Same thing with the white of the egg. You can take a blender and put the ground cat food and everything else in and grind it until it's really smooth. But the consistency still needs to be the texture of sticky oatmeal, so you really need to watch how much water you add. I just put them in ice cube trays and freeze them. Pop a cube out each feeding and just pop it in the microwave. I'm sure you know to avoid hot spots in the food.. Just watch how much you are putting in the ice cube trays, if you use too much you'll just waste more than you use. Good luck!

Handfeeding Mixture for Baby Starlings

The handfeeding recipe below supplies a balanced diet for baby starlings. When making the recipe, use an appropriate dry dog food or cat food that has been soaked in water, and remember to be sure that chicken or meat is the first ingredient on the label. Check the avian vitamin package for the right amount of vitamins to use since different vitamins have different recommendations.

Recipe: Handfeeding Mixture

1 cup soaked dog/cat food
1/4 cup of applesauce
1 hard boiled egg
Avian vitamins (follow dosage on package)
Around 750 mg calcium (I use Tums Smooth Dissolve tablet) ground to powder and dissolved in a little water.
Water

Mix all ingredients together, and add enough water to make it the consistency of cooked oatmeal as seen in the photo at right.

Proper consistency of handfeeding formula.
The above formula can be divided into portions and frozen. This formula works well for baby House Sparrows and some other passerines. Only leave this food at room temperatures for an hour or so, as it can spoil.

Quote:
This is exactly the link I just posted. It goes very nicely into detail about the need for protein, percentage, etc. I just looked up how much protein is in a hard boiled egg. It is approximately 17g. If you go to the link, it should explain how much protein is needed by the babies. You should be able to do the math that way. Not sure if an extra egg would suffice, but it should be calculable.

Quote:
This is exactly the link I just posted. It goes very nicely into detail about the need for protein, percentage, etc. I just looked up how much protein is in a hard boiled egg. It is approximately 17g. If you go to the link, it should explain how much protein is needed by the babies. You should be able to do the math that way. Not sure if an extra egg would suffice, but it should be calculable.

I need to start reading entire threads before posting hahahaha!
wink.png

Do research...you have time. Correctly identify the eggs & then you'll know where to start. Stick with "professional" opinions such as from wildlife rehabbers who do this daily. There are thousands of pages on the web with alot of bad advice....alot of it is just plain insane.

If you do some further research on starlings, you'll find they only require 22% protein & 9% fat....they are more insectivore than omnivore as adults....as hatchlings, they require strictly an insectivore diet. I would tread carefully with a feeding mixture containing fruit. Also, some cat foods contain fish....be careful there too.

Pat

You are in for an adventure. I adopted a fledgling crow a few years ago. She had been pushed out of the nest while her siblings were learning to fly, but she had a mild deformity and was unable to stand. I was told by my friend (a former wildlife rehab center volonteer) that she would most likely be euthanized due to the defect, so I kept her. She was unable to stand flat on her feet because her legs were crossed. If she uncrossed them, her toes would curl into little fists, and she would fall down. She used her wings to drag herself along, but seemed otherwise healthy. My friend gave me a baby bird food recipe, so I took care of her. She taught herself to walk in my kitchen, to hop in my dining room, and finally to fly in my apartment. I can't say I did much aside from feed her and provide a safe place to practice standing, walking, perching, and flying... but it was still an adventure. My poor cat, who was a good beast and never hunted my pets though he'd eat anything else smaller than himself, put up with that birds harassment till the day she flew off. She would get bored and peck at things, or fly around the room. She loved perching on the bookshelf by the door and squawking at whomever opened it. She was a lot of fun, and a lot of trouble, and I miss her.
Good luck with your babies. I hope you get a lovely batch of tiny chicks that will grow big and strong. Hopefully they won't destroy your tablecloth and vertical blinds (ok, what was I supposed to do? She hated the cage and the cat promised he wouldn't eat her... so I let her roam!)
Keep us posted on how it goes!

Back
Top Bottom