Wild Bird Seed for Chickens? Need answers ASAP

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by keegan, Apr 9, 2009.

1. keegan

keegan New Egg

Apr 4, 2009
    Well the other day, for my birthday, a friend of mine went and bought a large bag of wild bird seed for my chickens.They are about 3-4 weeks now and i was wondering if feeding them some of the see (not as a main diet) would be okay, or if they could say choke on it or something.It says on this site you can feed them tablescraps, so i would assume that a bit of bird seed would be okay, but im not sure.Are my chicks to young, or is it fine?

2. Superior Chicks

Superior Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

There will be alot of different opinions on this but here's mine:

I'm one of those that does not feed ANYTHING but chick starter crumbles to my chicks. NO treats. Just their regular food. I start to add treats at about 4 to maybe 5 weeks old if they look and act perfectly normal. Then I start adding small amounts of treats.

My adult hens LOVE wild bird seed. It's what I give them in the a.m. when they come out of the coop, with a few extra black oil sunflower seeds. Just a cup or so.. So the bird seed is perfectly O.K., but I personally would not give it to 3-4 week olds. I would wait a little yet. And when you do start treats of any kind, make sure they have access to grit.

My humble 2 cents.[​IMG]

Ma

P.S. [​IMG]

3. lorieMN

lorieMN Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    montevideo,MN
    Quote:I agree..I dont feed anything but feed to the chicks,but once they are grown up,,anything is fair game

4. michelle1017

michelle1017 Goat Mama

Aug 21, 2008
    Missouri
    [​IMG] I agree with the others!

5. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    I don't have that much experience with chicks and foods. My two month old chicks love the wild bird feed as well as my adults. I throw it in the coop to give them something to scratch at.

6. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

The feed will keep especially if you dust it with a little food-grade DE. I feed this to my hens, but didn't give before 20 weeks of age to ensure proper balance of nutrients.

7. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm another one that keeps babies' food simple. They get chicken starter only until they're at least three months old. I use the wild bird seed in my homemade flock blocks that I make for the adult chickens. Oh my gosh, they love that stuff!

8. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    I think they are too young right now but it will be fine for them later on. Mine love it as a treat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by