Wild Broody Goose Might Need Help

micstrachan

Addict
8 Years
Apr 10, 2016
Santa Cruz Mountains, California
Hi. Lately I’ve noticed a goose in the parking lot at work. One morning she was sitting right in the driving lane on the asphalt, but moved when my car crept closer.

Today, a colleague alerted me to the fact that she has a nest! She is sitting on eggs on top of a shipping container, panting in the sun. No shade whatsoever. She looks a little wet around the mouth... possibly drooling?

Does this sound like she’s in distress? Remember, this is a wild goose. How can I help her? Who do I call? My colleague says there has been a mate, so moving her and her eggs would probably not be best. I put water out nearby. However, what if she does not have the strength to get down and get water?

Also, these shipping containers are 12 feet (or whatever) tall. When and if the goslings hatch, I’m not sure she’ll be able to get them down. I might climb up with a ladder and bring some water at least.

Thanks. Ok, you can tell I don’t keep geese, as I called it a “beak” instead of a “bill”. Anyway, the maintenance crew say they’ve seen geese hatch up on these containers before, so I’ll let it go.

https://youtube.com/shorts/zQK5p2L54r4?feature=share
Geese seem to like to nest on shipping containers like that. Also she’s watching you. She’s definitely a broody goose. One of my girls is an angry brooder, and gives looks like that when she’s on her nests. Also most of my girls move their bills like that when sitting on their nests to, it’s kinda like a warning.
Maybe comparable to a girl in a movie threatening to scream for her boyfriend.

Geese seem to like to nest on shipping containers like that. Also she’s watching you. She’s definitely a broody goose. One of my girls is an angry brooder, and gives looks like that when she’s on her nests. Also most of my girls move their bills like that when sitting on their nests to, it’s kinda like a warning.
Maybe comparable to a girl in a movie threatening to scream for her boyfriend.
That’s super helpful. Thank you! My colleague says she’s been up there for at least ten days. So maybe we’ll see goslings in the coming weeks!

Back
Top Bottom