Wild Duck Egg Advice

I wouldn't intervene. Migratory birds are federally protected and hatching them might be a no no.
Recently here in Florida, on the news, a restaurant owner is facing charges for moving duck eggs away from his restaurant. One of his employees dropped a dime on him. He is facing charges right now.
Call a wildlife rescue if you want to help. I wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole after seeing the news the other night. I don't want reporters turning me into dirty laundry.:confused:
For those curious:
The Migratory Bird Treaty Act makes it illegal for anyone to take, possess, import, export, transport, sell, purchase, barter, or offer for sale, purchase, or barter, any migratory bird, or the parts, nests, or eggs of such a bird except under the terms of a valid permit issued pursuant to Federal regulations. The migratory bird species protected by the Act are listed in 50 CFR 10.13.
Source:
https://www.fws.gov/birds/policies-and-regulations/laws-legislations/migratory-bird-treaty-act.php

Edited to add:
I should mention that I have had people give me Mallard Ducklings that they found in their yards and that if I found Mallard eggs in my yard I would probably incubate them :oops:

Last edited:
I have a new duck egg every morning in my flower pot. Up to 5 now. I never see the duck sitting on the eggs. Not during day, not during middle of the night. Are the eggs fertilized? Are they rotting? I live next to a lake. What advise to leave them, move them, toss them.

I have a new duck egg every morning in my flower pot. Up to 5 now. I never see the duck sitting on the eggs. Not during day, not during middle of the night. Are the eggs fertilized? Are they rotting? I live next to a lake. What advise to leave them, move them, toss them.
The duck's still building her nest. Once she has enough (probably around a dozen), she'll start setting on the nest, and twenty-eight days of incubation later (give or take) there should be ducklings.

If she sat on the eggs as she laid them, there would be a staggered hatch, i.e., the first egg would hatch on its twenty-eighth day, then the second egg would hatch a day later, and the third egg would hatch a day after that, and she'd be faced with the choice of letting her existing eggs cool down and die, or letting her hatched ducklings starve.

I have a wild Mallard Duck hanging around (on and off) with my flock of ducks since April. Recently she came back after a week of absence with six little ducklings in tow:
She hangs out with the little ones here during the day, eats drinks and quacks but heads for the pasture to stay overnight when i lock my ducks up for the night.

Back
Top Bottom