Wild Ducks In courtyard garden

Bakerfamilyzoo

In the Brooder
Feb 27, 2019
Good afternoon,
I work in a Long term car community and every year we get wild ducks that lay eggs in our roof top courtyard garden. last year staff and residents were attacked by mother ducks, two moms had clutches at the same time and attacked and killed each others babies. We have tried our best to pull out long grasses and areas that they usually lay buy we missed an area and just had a clutch hatch yesterday. we do not want to encourage any more clutches so we do plan on ripping out everything this week.Last year we provided food, water and a small swimming pool, it was a huge mistake!

my question is, will they survive if we DO NOT provide water for them?
I would like to put up signs discouraging people from putting out tubs of water for them as I think this will encourage them to come back and/ or stay longer.

I would not feed or interfere with wild ducks.

If you feel something must be done, perhaps you can call Division of Wildlife and the can connect you with someone that can help. They may even be able to give some sort of educational presentation at the facility so that the residents can have some understanding of what's going on and perhaps it will not upset the balance as much. I know the residents probably thrive on routine and some probably look forward to seeing the ducks.

Back
Top Bottom