Wild Gardening

I love trees and I hear apple trees get to be 30 ft so I’m like yay:celebrate well if I manage to keep them alive that long.

I just wanna know if it takes a whole year of growing them in a pot before I transplant them to their permanent ground spot or if they’ll be ready by fall to transplant, but I guess I’ll find out when I place em in pots.
I'm not sure 🤔. I've planted stone fruit trees once they were taller then a foot and they went okay. Just had a dripper on them. But we are different climate to you. If its a variety that goes dormant then I think its safe to plant in the ground once that happens

@hysop I am hoping you have good luck with your apple seeds.

Hopefully I am not "raining on your parade" but apples very rarely grow true to the variety of apple they come from.
Most apple trees are grafted onto other apple tree roots. They may even be crab apple roots, or even an apple roots that produce really bad tasting apples. The roots are chosen for hardiness - climate based (cold or warm hardiness) or disease resistance.

I had a friend plant seeds from an apple and what he got was an old fashioned crab apple tree. But they were really good crab apples (almost 2" in diameter) and he made the best crab apple jelly from them. That was the most beautiful spring blooming tree I had ever seen!

@hysop I am hoping you have good luck with your apple seeds.

Hopefully I am not "raining on your parade" but apples very rarely grow true to the variety of apple they come from.
Most apple trees are grafted onto other apple tree roots. They may even be crab apple roots, or even an apple roots that produce really bad tasting apples. The roots are chosen for hardiness - climate based (cold or warm hardiness) or disease resistance.

I had a friend plant seeds from an apple and what he got was an old fashioned crab apple tree. But they were really good crab apples (almost 2" in diameter) and he made the best crab apple jelly from them. That was the most beautiful spring blooming tree I had ever seen!

Yes, I read that online before starting my appleseed journey. It is mostly for trees not so much for the fruit. But that doesn’t mean I’m not curious what they will taste like if it ever produces fruit. I’m really just trying to find my green thumb because right now my score is negative on the green thumb not even on zero 😂

How fun! I'm all about planting stuff just to see what happens. Worst case, if it doesn't provide fruit you're happy with, you can just graft a variety you know like onto the already established root stock.

I have I think 4 Peach trees that I started from pits that are still going strong after a year or two but I haven't gotten fruit from them yet. I have Some Paw Paws, Mayhaws, and Elderberry that are a blend of some tiny dry root starts that I bought and cutting that I'm starting in root trainer pots. I have a goumi berry bush that has been producing really well and I'm going to try starting some cuttings from that too. Not much to take pictures of at the moment though, it's a lot of dormant sticks mostly. lol

This summer, the hubby and I are going to dedicate an area of the plowed field to a "Chaos Garden". Basically, take all your old seeds and mix them together then broadcast them over an area and rake them in lightly. Water well and see what grows.

I do this with any seeds older than 3 years! It makes for an interesting blend of plants and I've gotten some great produce doing so.

This summer, the hubby and I are going to dedicate an area of the plowed field to a "Chaos Garden". Basically, take all your old seeds and mix them together then broadcast them over an area and rake them in lightly. Water well and see what grows.

I never thought to do that. What an awesome idea!! Im sure I have some old seeds I need to just get rid of and hopefully get some produce in the process.

Menard's has seeds on sale for 10 cents a pack. I buy a bunch of the wildflowers, mix them all together and broadcast them in areas that I water. If they come up, I get bonus flowers. If they don't come up, I am only out a couple of dollars.

Menard's has seeds on sale for 10 cents a pack. I buy a bunch of the wildflowers, mix them all together and broadcast them in areas that I water. If they come up, I get bonus flowers. If they don't come up, I am only out a couple of dollars.

Are the flowers just to look pretty or do they serve a purpose? I want to plant flowers but my husband says they attract bugs. But I would think it also attract the good kind of insects/critters like bees and grasshoppers or something.

Do chickens normally mess with flowers or just crops?

Are the flowers just to look pretty or do they serve a purpose? I want to plant flowers but my husband says they attract bugs. But I would think it also attract the good kind of insects/critters like bees and grasshoppers or something.

Do chickens normally mess with flowers or just crops?
I like flowers without needing any purpose for them. My honeybees also like flowers and make the most awesome honey there is.

I don't consider grasshoppers to be a good kind of bug.

I have not noticed my poultry messing with flowers until they have produced seeds at which time they will harvest the seeds.

Back
Top Bottom