Wild incubated 1 week old ducks

akletzien

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 23, 2014
Hi. I have one week old mallard ducks. My parent's bird dog found the eggs and destroyed a few. My Dad did not want the eggs so gave them to me as I have an incubator. I didn't actually think they'd hatch but they did...5 of them. They are one week old now. I'm not sure what I should do? I want the best for them. My parent's have seen the female and male mallard swimming in their channel. Is there any chance they would "accept" them? I doubt it. Chances of introducing them to a mallard that has baby's? Or, should I wait the 8 weeks and wait until they have their adult feathers before I try "letting" them go? And, if the last option, any suggestions on best way to "let" them go? I've read a bunch of different things...my head is swimming. No pun intended. So, though I'm not clueless, I'm overwhelmed with what is best for the ducks. I should say that I have two young children (4 and 6 years old) and they are loving the ducks.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

BTW, I also have 4 month old chicks (white leghorn and barred rock) and was wondering when I could introduce the chickens to the ducks. They have obviously seen each other but we've been pretty protective of the ducks so that they don't get a curious peck.

Thanks again.
Amy

Last edited:
If you have a wildlife rehabilitator who is compassionate, you might ask for some help. Or a nature center . . . it's a tricky situation due to some older legislation called the Migratory Bird Treaty Act.

But I feel that raising them like we would a domestic duck will not prepare them for re-entry to the wild.

Last edited:
Definitely find a rehabber nearest you. I'm a rehabber in N MS. I've had as many 25 ducklings at a time. I currently have 12 released and one still in my care. Please PM me if u have any questions or need someone to listen.

There is a mother duck with 4 or 5 ducklings near my parent's house. I'm wondering if I should see if she'd accept them???

Back
Top Bottom