Wild Mustang Adoption-Pros/Cons, and opinions of others who've adopted

Quote:
#1431?

Now HE is a dandy!

You got it! And yes, I did get swayed CONSIDERABLY by how pretty he is, but the final decision came based on he's built correctly, too.

I agree with the pretty heads, especially on a refined and balanced neck. To me the front half of the horse is it's ability to maneuver. Without correct neck length, they don't achieve proper flexion or balance IMO. When we were searching through the adoptees, my daughter would say, oh that one's pretty. I said yup, it's a pretty color but that's all it's got going for it. Those cremellos are intriguing color wise, but type wise, *cringes*.

A good conformed horse is pretty any color it is - though sometimes a pretty paint job can carry the eye from faults that would be obvious on a plain bay.

I had a fantastic riding instructor when I was young (started lessons at 5), who took the time to really drill conformation - especially ratios - the body thirds, the bottom of the neckline should be half the length of the top of the neckline, leg measurements, slopes for shoulders, hips, fetlocks etc. The information she gave has been priceless (even got me Junior Champion Horse Judging for FFA).

But yes, that boy is a good shoulder, hip and well built...and has a pretty paint job!

High roost, if you really want to win those bids I have some experience with a slow connection and ebay. The trick is to know your internet speed at that time and to get the bid set up and ready, then hit enter in the last 5-15 seconds. I've won many a bid against people with fast connection that way, even 30seconds can be too much time.

Good luck!

E-snipe. It's about $5 to join, and will automatically go in in the last 6 seconds and place your next highest bid. Works great!

Quote:
Actually my mare rides pretty well............ she's no TWH, but neither is my Quarb, hehe. My mare has more of a rolling side to side sashay kind of trot, which I like, but often find myself giggling as I picture I'm riding a hippo because she's so... ummmmm... stout.
big_smile.png
I once was trail riding with some friends through the woods, we were going down to the river on our usual route. It had steep sides and rocky ground. We had had bad storms all that week and it exposed some wet clay like rock near the river. My mare planted her feet and refused to go that way, she wanted to go a different way, I asked again and unlike her she refused again, my friends past me and tried to go through. The first horse lost it's footing, fell and slid down a steep slope, scraping up it's side and legs. Luckly nothing serious. My mare knew it was unsafe, before any of the others. She is also good at finding her way home or to the parked trailer if we get turned around in the woods.

Chalk one up for the mustang! How long have you had her?

I've had her for about 8 years now. She is very laid back unless you want her to run, then hold on! It took her awhile for me to train her not to be afraid of other horses, but now she is as good as gold. I remember a few years back my friends and I were going riding, one had a paint Quarb, one a TWH. As we were getting ready to go out when some boy scouts came out of the woods laughing and rough housing with full tall backpacks on. Well my friends horses were all freaking out and pulling back, trying to get away. My mare........... she was looking intently, ears pricked. I could read her mind................" I wonder if they have food". She walked right up to them, let them pet her as she sniffed their back packs for any goodies. She has a good head about her, but can be untrusting of some people, but mostly enjoys people and children. She has a six sense about her. If i tie her to the trailer and walk off she looks for me, not nervous, but she watches were I am and nickers to me when I return. She is good natured with all my other animals, especially the potbelly pig that is constantly biting her and rubbing on her legs. She can be bossy with other mares, but the younger mare I have with her is fine. She is fine with strange horses on the trail.... could care less for them. She loves the water. She has strong maternal instincts and would jump a fence to get to her adopted baby (who is a 2 year old mini appy stud). She is patient and willing, she has helped many a boy scout learn how to ride, in fact each time she was the horse of choice. Her hoofs are hard as nails, but I have little problems with them. She is an easy keeper and I have done many things with her from 15 mile indurance rides, jumping, games, trail... anything I ask. She is just a well rounded horse. Once they trust you, they are really bonded to you. I love them.

Last edited:
Quote:
Chalk one up for the mustang! How long have you had her?

I've had her for about 8 years now. She is very laid back unless you want her to run, then hold on! It took her awhile for me to train her not to be afraid of other horses, but now she is as good as gold. I remember a few years back my friends and I were going riding, one had a paint Quarb, one a TWH. As we were getting ready to go out when some boy scouts came out of the woods laughing and rough housing with full tall backpacks on. Well my friends horses were all freaking out and pulling back, trying to get away. My mare........... she was looking intently, ears pricked. I could read her mind................" I wonder if they have food". She walked right up to them, let them pet her as she sniffed their back packs for any goodies. She has a good head about her, but can be untrusting of some people, but mostly enjoys people and children. She has a six sense about her. If i tie her to the trailer and walk off she looks for me, not nervous, but she watches were I am and nickers to me when I return. She is good natured with all my other animals, especially the potbelly pig that is constantly biting her and rubbing on her legs. She can be bossy with other mares, but the younger mare I have with her is fine. She is fine with strange horses on the trail.... could care less for them. She loves the water. She has strong maternal instincts and would jump a fence to get to her adopted baby (who is a 2 year old mini appy stud). She is patient and willing, she has helped many a boy scout learn how to ride, in fact each time she was the horse of choice. Her hoofs are hard as nails, but I have little problems with them. She is an easy keeper and I have done many things with her from 15 mile indurance rides, jumping, games, trail... anything I ask. She is just a well rounded horse. Once they trust you, they are really bonded to you. I love them.

Please, forgive my ignorance. What is a Quarb?

my horse is a true mustang. she even has the goverment brand on her neck under her mane. she is sweet but she spooks easy. I love her and wont trade her for anything in this world. we no longer ride her for many reasons.

Quote:

Please, forgive my ignorance. What is a Quarb?

I beleive it is a quarter horse arabian mix

There are some nice looking horses in there though I admit that I am not an expert. One year DH and I drove a few hours to a BLM set-up. There was viewing for a few days then the auction was going to be the day after we went. I was actually impressed that with all of the people milling around, the horses were pretty calm. One little bay filly tugged at my heart strings... One front leg was a bit swollen from the knee down and she had a slight limp from it. She probably got banged up during the round-up. But she came over to the corral panel to see me, and was acting very friendly. I just hope that she went to a good home...

Back
Top Bottom