Wild Mustang Adoption-Pros/Cons, and opinions of others who've adopted

Quote:
high roost, you're welcome, no problem
big_smile.png
also, oh, I thought that was him, which one is he? sorry...
hu.gif
and yes those horses are all very pretty, are there any bigger ones or are they mostly smaller?, cause i think i saw some like 15 hh but theyre mostly high 13 to low 14ish range, i assume cause theyre wild and havent had a great diet/life?...
hu.gif
thanks

Pretty is only the icing on the cake for me. I'm going off of confirmation first. The stud just happens to be a pretty color to boot, he's the palomino overo. The yearlings are all 13-14 hh, which for the mustang is about right. And while they aren't grain fed fat I think that most of them for being range sufficient are in very good shape. If there's a legitimate controversy over cattle verses mustangs, so far the mustangs are holding their own in the grocery department. And I say that without discounting the possibility that there may be true concern, especially for those ranchers in the mustang range areas. I'm not out there in the middle of it so I can't comment one way or the other, only go off what I observe. Of course, this is July, it's hard telling just how rough of shape the mustangs may have looked mid winter when they were rounded up. But I've viewed some videos and photos of mid winter roundups and they don't seem to be in too bad of shape. They obviously are able to maintain themselves at an acceptable level, otherwise the mares wouldn't conceive or carry to term thereby increasing the population. They've developed natural resistance to parasites and a natural hoof. As for the aged mares/studs, I'm amazed at how good they look health wise. And with constant feed in a higher protein level the yearlings should be able to almost make their maximum height, close to 15 hh.

ohh, hes very pretty and yeah i know what you mean. oh and thanks for the info.
smile.png

Quote:
smile.png

This is a good link with junky drawing on conformation:
http://www.nwhorsesource.com/horse-...m/1595-trainers-corner-trapezoid-conformation

How horses are built tells a lot about how they will move, how sound they will be, and according to some folks, how nice they will act. A steep shoulder will shorten the stride meaning to cover distance they take a lot more steps, a sharp hip will not let them reach their hinds under them to give a smooth motor. Now, there are always exceptions - I know an FEI dressage horse that has the nastiest club foot I've ever seen, but with special shoeing, he is sound and capable of performing.

They are strong little critters, but I would take a correctly conformed QH any day for anything from racing (speed), reining (agility), jumping (power), or dressage (finesse).

What they do have going is the nostalgia factor. The guys in the pics look like they've got a good weight on them so that's not an issue. I'm sure they will make someone a great project, but based on the experiences I've had with BLMs, no thank you
smile.png

High Roost - No, I didn't hit up all of them
big_smile.png
I do have to say, some of them have some fabulous heads on them - if I were to be tempted by one, it would be one of those. I like nice heads
smile.png

ohh, ok, thanks for the info!
smile.png

High Roost Ranch - I just looked up that horse and he is VERY pretty, absolutely GORGEOUS horse!
droolin.gif
love.gif
I hope you get him! good luck!
thumbsup.gif
big_smile.png

I never owned a horse but i have worked with them for a few years and let me say some of my favorites have been the mustangs. Including one that came into clinic with her foal. She was skittish as can be but once you got your hand on her she'd go anywhere with you. I want a mustang, always have and probably always will. I want a project horse, is what I want, but my first would have to come out of Utah because I'm pretty sure that's where they have the prison program where inmates train the horses. You get these great BLM horses and they're already loadable (among other things) which is really my only concern.

Well... the auction ended. I so wish I would have realized eSnipe worked with BLM's site. I've used it in the past and I was thinking it was only for eBay auctions. I think I lost the bid on the stud by $10... enough that I felt really bad for the rest of the day.
hit.gif
I talked with BLM today and told them if for whatever reason, the high bidder doesn't take that boy that I want him without a doubt. We did win the bids on two very nice fillies, one a red road yearling and the other a 2 yr old sorrel. Now to arrange pick up on them.

aww, im so sorry you didnt get that handsome boy!
sad.png
hit.gif
hugs.gif
but im glad you got the other horses though, they sound like they are very nice!
love.gif
congrats!
thumbsup.gif
big_smile.png
but again sorry you didnt get the stud...
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
but good luck with the other pretty horses!
thumbsup.gif
big_smile.png
celebrate.gif

Hi!
Im in on this a bit late, and Im so so sorry you missed out on your boy.
When horse shopping, patience is a virtue! Maybe you can find another better if you wait!

I wanted to say that here in Ky we have the Mustang Troops at the Kentucky Horse Park, and I would look here for more success stories.

"The Kentucky Horse Park Mustang Troop program teams inner-city youth, 10-years-old and older, with adopted formerly-feral mustangs, and teaches them how to interact with horses, care for their needs and learn to ride. "

Im not sure who is the head, but if you want to talk to someone nice, who works for the Ky Horse Park and knows about them, look for Margi Stickney.. she was my equine science and physiology teacher, and is super awesome.

Here are some links!

http://www.equisearch.com/youth_activities/mustangtroop102103/

http://www.kyhorsepark.com/educational-opportunities/mustang-troops/

Edited to add: The mountains in the distance are breathtaking.. I didnt see them before when looking at pics... we dont see that here in KY.....

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks! As much as I wanted him, I'm also a believer in "if it was meant to be, it would be."

Blue Grass, I'll check out those links, thanks for posting them. Aren't the mountains gorgeous?! I miss them. One thing about Nevada when your up on the high desert at night, you can see ZILLIONS of stars out. No where else have I seen it like that than Nevada. I was a truck driver for many years, got to every state. But Nevada, with the mountains and fascinating nights, was just fantastic.

So, drum roll please because here's the two we did win the bid on:
big_smile.png

I've kind of informally named this filly June Bug. Kind of a silly name, I know, but it just popped into my head when I was studying her photos.
sorrel6.jpg

And this one I haven't come up with a name for yet, will have to wait to see her in person I suppose before a name comes to me. My daughter wanted to name her Roanie, I said no way, nothing that common and obvious.
Roan4.jpg

I choose the two quietest and laid back looking fillies for our first time, that also excelled in conformation. June Bug will be my winter project to get her under saddle, the roan will be handled a LOT to make her my daughter's long term project since she's just a yearling. She of course wanted a different colored filly, but I'm sure she'll understand my reasoning when she sees just how wild these calm appearing fillies can be.

Last edited:
Sorry that you didn't get the stallion that you was wanting but am so glad that you did get the 2 fillies you had picked out. And IMO they are still 2 of the best looking ones in the bunch. I think you'll do great with them. Keep us updated on them as to how they are doing after you get them home.

And WHEN it works out well and I feel sure it will maybe it will change the negative attitude that a lot of people seem to have about the Wild Mustangs. I can't wait to see more pictures of them after you get them home.

Back
Top Bottom