"Wild" Peacock

skunknchatter

Crowing
16 Years
Aug 19, 2007
Northern Utah
In a small town (very small) close to me there is a flock of "wild" peacocks. They belonged to an older gentleman years ago. He just let them roam his property. He passed away a few years ago and now they just wander throughout town. The roost in the tall poplar trees at night to avoid predators and such. A crazy friend of mine found out I wanted a peacock and is planning on catching one of these ones for me. So I need the peacock basics. Obviously these guys are really good flyers but will clipping their wings keep them grounded for a while. I have a place to keep him but right now it doesn't have a top on it and it might be spring before I can get a top put on. If I have to I can keep him in a horse stall in my grandfathers barn but that would be a last resort.

What do I need to know about peafowl?

I got a pair of Peas last summer that were technically "wild". A guy owned a farm and had them loose, rarely fed them and didn't coop them ever. He managed to catch them and I have had them in one of my runs with some Pheasants. The run is made of chain link dog kennel panels and has a welded wire roof. I am sure they would fly away if I let them out. Hopefully the hen will lay eggs this year that I can incubate and have those more "people friendly" Currently I feed them layer but will change over to gamebird feed soon as that is what I have heard.

Good luck to you!

I know that peafowl is loud when they call but how often is a single male loud? There are no other peafowl near my house but I do have some close neighbors. Once or twice a day they can deal with (ha ha my rooster crows all day) but I don't know how much they would put up with past that.

Sorry, this doesn't answer your question, but I wanted to mention that your new guy will probably be lonely if it's just him...can't your crazy friend catch you a pair?

Yes, I agree. I read that and it made me sad to think about catching a wild beautiful bird and throwing it into a horse stall and clipping his wings. He will definitely need a partner / mate. :(
I think you should have the appropriate pen built before you acquire him. If the pen you have doesn't have a top, something could crawl in and kill him, since he will be defenseless and won't be able to fly.
Peafowl are LOUD.

That is why I don't want to put him in a horse stall. But the reason I would have to would be so he was safe until the ground thawed out enough for me to build him a proper pen. I am thinking I'll have to build it on my grandfathers property (1/4 mile from my house) as he has 10 acres of property with his pastures and the neighbors pastures as a buffer for peafowl noise :)

I'm pretty sure I could get the friend to catch me a pair. He's always up for a challenge. That's why he's doing it in the first place. I'll put a bug in his ear.

Once they get used to the place can I let them roam during the day? Will they head back to their pen at night like chickens do or will they just head for the tall trees? There is a pond on the property, trees, and lots of pasture to enjoy so I'd hate to keep them locked up. But we do have some serious predators that sneak onto the property at night and I'd hate to find my new friends dead.

Another thought is getting them used to the barn as their home. They can go up in the loft and roost in the hay or on top of the stalls. It gets locked up at night and nothing would be able to get in to kill them. Plus there is always fresh water in the barn year round. Would feeding them in the barn help?

My neighbors about half a mile down the road asked me if I have big cats up here... they can hear my peacock.

Back
Top Bottom