"Wild" rooster roaming the neighborhood

roheryn

Songster
10 Years
Jul 23, 2013
Northern CA
This little guy has been wandering around one of my 4H kids neighborhood for at least 2 years, and often visits her flock. He is somewhere between a standard and a bantam with a very loud crow. Apparently some neighbor took exception and tried to take him out, which resulted in him having a broken or very injured leg. My girl was able to capture him and will take him to the country where his calls will be appreciated. But she wants to know what is his breed. I'm thinking he may be a mix, but wanted to get your opinion. He is very gentle and tame, and accepted handling very well for being a "wild" rooster.

He has what looks like a rose comb, and maybe a small tassel behind that comb. His tail is dark and he is mostly rust/black, with a bay eye and large wattles. He looks a bit more like a hen than a traditional rooster, but he certainly crows and courts like a roo! Maybe some sort of Hamburg? Would love to let my crew know what this guy is before he rehomes, thanks!

IMG_8628.JPG
IMG_3256.jpg
IMG_8886.jpg

This little guy has been wandering around one of my 4H kids neighborhood for at least 2 years, and often visits her flock. He is somewhere between a standard and a bantam with a very loud crow. Apparently some neighbor took exception and tried to take him out, which resulted in him having a broken or very injured leg. My girl was able to capture him and will take him to the country where his calls will be appreciated. But she wants to know what is his breed. I'm thinking he may be a mix, but wanted to get your opinion. He is very gentle and tame, and accepted handling very well for being a "wild" rooster.

He has what looks like a rose comb, and maybe a small tassel behind that comb. His tail is dark and he is mostly rust/black, with a bay eye and large wattles. He looks a bit more like a hen than a traditional rooster, but he certainly crows and courts like a roo! Maybe some sort of Hamburg? Would love to let my crew know what this guy is before he rehomes, thanks!

View attachment 2035961View attachment 2035967View attachment 2035968
Good job on rescuing! I don’t know what breed it is but it’s sort of looks like a hen to me, lol!

I would also guess that he has definite Sicilian Buttercup breed in his makeup,his comb looks like the crown comb they sport!so yeah I'm going with Hamburg/Sicilian Buttercup cross.:D

As for his breed... I would guess a hamburg cross. His spangling isn't quite right and his comb isn't quite right.

That's an interesting bird. I forget about Hamburgs. My initial thought was a Sebright cross. But the size is certainly closer to a Hamburg.

I would also guess that he has definite Sicilian Buttercup breed in his makeup,his comb looks like the crown comb they sport!so yeah I'm going with Hamburg/Sicilian Buttercup cross.:D

Having bred Sicilian Buttercups for years I can pretty much guarantee that is not a crossing that produced this bird. The rooster in question has a modified rose comb. The double, or cup-comb that Buttercups sport would be much more evident in a cross in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom