wild turkey and pheasant starter for quail?

Little_Bigfoot

Songster
9 Years
Feb 1, 2011
Washington
so i went to my feed store and was looking for wild game bird starter but no one in my area does game birds and they didnt have any so i was looking for the best second option for a high protien starter that was unmedicated and the closest thing i could find was wild turkey/pheasant starter with a 28% protien rating ( which was the absolute highest protien out of all the feeds there) so long story short i bought the bag so can i use it for the chicks or no?

Well, that is excellent turkey/pheasant food, and should be fine quail feed as long as it's formatted to a size they can eat.

I would pull the trigger on that....unless I could find something easier to feed.

Here at my local TSC DUMOR Chick Starter 24% is good for chukars and quails too will be fine if you need to you can grind it up for the chicks till they can eat regular size crumbles than when they get mature you can decrease protein to 20%.
SDC10893.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Yup...It says it right there on the label!
wink.png

Probably the best darn chicken feed on the market! I would feed it to my birds if it was the only game in town, or when (HECK) freezes over. I'm really going to hate when all feed stores are TSC. It will be easy, because I just have to buy one bag of feed and feed my dog/cat/horse/goat/chickens/game birds, all from the same bag! That would be way to easy.

A TINY WORD OF CAUTION ON DULESS.... EVEN THO THEY FALSELY STATE IN THE TSC ADS THAT IT IS FORMULATED FOR ALL CHICKS, INCLUDING GAMEBIRDS--- IT ISNT! ITS CHICKEN STARTER AS JOE HAS ALREADY STATED.. PROTIEN IS LACKING AND IT DOESNT CONTAIN THE PROPER INGREDIENTS IN APPROPRIATE RATIONS FOR MOST GAMEBIRDS. AT THE VERY LEAST IT CAN CAUSE DIGESTIVE ALIMENTS--- DIARRHEA WHICH LEADS TO PASTY BUTT AND DEHYDRATION ALONG WITH ELECTROLYTE IMBALANCES OR CONSTIPATION WHICH KILLS THE AS WELL. DEPENDING ON THE SPECES. ALSO THERES THE POSSIBILITY OF SALT TOXICITY WHICH IS LETHAL AND QUICK. AND THE BASIC MALNUTRITION FROM NOT HAVING THE CORRECT INGREDIENTS... THERES A TAD MORE TO IT THAN JUST PROTIEN PERCENTAGE... DIFFERENT SPECES REQUIRE (BY NATURES DESIGN) DIFFERENT TYPES OF PROTIEN SOURCES AND VARYING OTHER INGREDIENTS--- MORE CALCIUM/ LESS CALCUIM, MORE FIBER/ LESS FIBER, ETC... WHAT SOME SPECES LIKE CHICKENS OR DUCKS MAY BE EASILY ABLE TO ABSORB AND DIGEST MAY BE INERT FORMS OF NUTRIENTS FOR QUAIL... THEY SIMPLY ARENT DESIGNED TO DIGEST SOME THINGS
hu.gif
IF THIS WERENT THE CASE WE ONLY HAVE "BIRD" FEED TO CHOOSE FROM, NOT CHICKEN STARTER/ LAYER FEEDS/ TURKEY FEEDS/ GAMEBIRD CONDITIONER RATIONS, ETC...

TURKEY STARTER IS AS CLOSE TO MOST COMMERCIAL GAME BIRD STARTERS AS YOU WILL FIND READILY AVAILABLE AND IS GENERALLY ACCEPTED AS SECOND BEST BY MANY

I have called every feed store within 20 miles
he.gif
and finally found one that will order single bags ( 50 lbs. ) of Purina Startena 27%, most everyone else said ( TSC ) they had to order a pallet load not singles I don't understand that but anyway I found it.
ya.gif

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
Changed username from missfire to quailmale to match Florida Game Permit.

Last edited:
too bad that there isnt a mister feed in any other states it has literally the cheepest feed you can find i am not lying i got one of my family members to stop getting feed from tsc just from a gift certificate now they are a monthly customer i wish there were more and more people knew about it

Back
Top Bottom