Wild turkey hens seduced our tom-

Do hunters avoid shooting turkeys that aren’t “normal” colors for wild turkeys?
That’s something that has been on my mind the past couple years now.

Depends on the hunter. Here some game wardens have told hunters that any turkeys that have white on them are fair game anytime since they don't want them contaminating the bloodlines.

I hope not... But these guys are not terribly different looking, at dawn or dusk the color difference might not stand out. In full sunlight on a snowy field, less than 50' away, I noticed the red coloration immediately.

Last edited:
Depends on the hunter. Here some game wardens have told hunters that any turkeys that have white on them are fair game anytime since they don't want them contaminating the bloodlines.

That makes sense.

I hope not... But these guys are not terribly different looking, at dawn or dusk the color difference might not stand out. In full sunlight on a snowy field, less than 50' away, I noticed the red coloration immediately.

I just wonder for my own turkeys safety.
I do keep a closer eye on them during hunting season. I mostly worry when they go behind our woods into the open field. We don’t own that field and if the owners give permission to hunt on it I’d hate for my guys to get shot.

That makes sense.

I just wonder for my own turkeys safety.
I do keep a closer eye on them during hunting season. I mostly worry when they go behind our woods into the open field. We don’t own that field and if the owners give permission to hunt on it I’d hate for my guys to get shot.
@OneMountainAcres has been planning on making fluorescent orange saddles. Her first attempt was a failure.

@OneMountainAcres has been planning on making fluorescent orange saddles. Her first attempt was a failure.

I do have plenty of orange fabric right now and after this winter and all the custom orders, I now know how to make turkey jackets..... ones that DON'T freak them out when they wear them lol

I do have plenty of orange fabric right now and after this winter and all the custom orders, I now know how to make turkey jackets..... ones that DON'T freak them out when they wear them lol
Question.....
When I look up turkey jackets I really only see hen saddles. Since the males strut almost all the time🤪 Do you think straps that go across the back of the neck and across their back behind the wings would be best? Essentially only having the fabric be on the chest? I guess kinda the opposite of a saddle. Haha. Does that makes sense?

Back
Top Bottom