Wild Turkey pic **Updated** lots more pics

Struttn1

Songster
13 Years
May 4, 2008
Southern Illinois
I snapped this pic of some of the wild turkeys that are hanging around a beanfield down the road. Take note of the white phased hen in the flock. I am wondering if my Royal Palm gobbler got frisky with a wild hen last spring.
roll.png

100_0726.jpg

The flock was back in the field today with a whole lot more company.

100_0729.jpg

100_0730.jpg

100_0731.jpg

100_0732.jpg

100_0733.jpg

100_0734.jpg

100_0735.jpg

100_0736.jpg

100_0737.jpg

100_0738.jpg

100_0739.jpg

100_0740.jpg

100_0741.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for posting those shots. Hope our weather holds so our WE's start to proliferate again (usual flocks of 20-30 down into the low teens). Sure hope the pale hen chooses her nesting site carefully - not a color conducive to survival, bummer.

Here's a little WE info from across the border in MO.: http://mdc.mo.gov/conmag/ (4/09 Turkey Mathematics)

Last edited:
That one looks like it has the Narragansett pattern. Mixing between wilds and backyard turkeys aren't terribly rare.. so are the occasional backyard hens leaving to join and breed with wilds. I've heard of people seeing "lilac" wilds(probably mix of wild & blue slate).

Personally I would love to see the various heritage colors on a wild turkey body type.. They'd look a lot prettier but ah, less productive for home use I guess..

We have flocks of about 40-50 that circulate around the neighborhood, nesting behind and in front of the house for the night. Interestingly we do not see babies. I have stumbled across a hen sitting, but never seeing the young.
I appreciate the pic of the white hen, I thought I saw a bit of Narri in the wild flock tho.
Sitting in the lawn chair yesterday, a wild hen walks up to me, eating the bread I tossed on the ground, marches up to the fence between them has a neat little conversation, he struts and then she realized I was a person.
Today she came back to visit with no luck, he was roosting and there was 3 of us standing watching her pick up rocks and stuff, then she walked off.
Not sure, but we may have some off looking birds come fall!
Thanks for commenting and sharing your flock of wild birds.

Beautiful!! we have a wild flock close by here. But we don't see them in the fall and winter much. Can't wait till they come out in the fields this spring!!

Awesome flock! We get flocks that big coming down into the hay fields in the spring. Those gobblers just make me pysched for spring gobbler season!
thumbsup.gif

I heard a wild hen calling to my gobblers from the woods behind my house. She could be the same hen who hatched out the narraggy.

According to Porter Royal palm + Eastern Wild= Narraggy.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
hmm.png

Struttn1 wrote: Take note of the white phased hen in the flock. I am wondering if my Royal Palm gobbler got frisky with a wild hen last spring.

i certainly wouldn't be advertising there that your allowing your turkey to breed with wild turkeys. surly destroying the wild turkey gene pool.

Your local DNR would probably love to here this one..

Luckily your not in my state or i would have reported you if i knew who your were..
clap.gif

Hate seeing people to allow this to happen to are wild life resources..
somad.gif

Charlie

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom