Wild Type Color Pattern and my EE's

Ms Biddy

One chicken short of crazy
6 Years
Dec 4, 2017
My Coop
My Coop
We want a couple more colored egg layers so I hatched 4 eggs from my 3 EE hens and roo, hoping for the best. The girls are excellent layers and hardly ever miss a day so I figured what the heck.

I set one egg from each of them plus an extra, not sure from who. All 4 hatched. I know 4 eggs is a horrible sample size, but still I was expecting some color variations. All 4 chicks are wild type (eta: actually, it looks like this is brown/partridge not wild type). I can tell them apart in person, but they're feathering in very similar.

I think wild type is a recessive color pattern, isn't it? If so, my two blue/red hens must be carriers since their chicks came out with double copies as well.

I'm hoping they end up somewhat different from each other and that I get some dark muffs.

Any comments about genetics or your own experiences crossing EE's would be most welcome. Feel free to post pictures of any EE's you've hatched.

pixlr_20180419193220497.jpg

pixlr_20180630125053572.jpg

Last edited:
They all appear to be partridge based, yes. The adults all have melanisers, colombian, and lacing, all incomplete. All the hens also have blue, the tan one lacks lacing genes. There should be a fair amount of variation once their adult feathering starts to come in, or it could be that you just had the luck of the draw in this case, and next time will see different patterns.

All your birds including chicks look to be partridge based.
I agree, the chick's down look Partridge(eb e allele)

I would like to add that partridge is recessive to wildtype e+

The order of dominance is E>ER>e+>eWh>eb>ey eWh/eb chicks will look somewhat intermediate but mostly yellow with a faint stripe running on the back

Last edited:
Thank you, @BirdGirl2004 Out of 10 different eggs from our coops, 9 hatched.

There should be a fair amount of variation once their adult feathering starts to come in

Well, that possibility is exciting. I'll be watching for changes!

I agree, the chick's down look Partridge(eb e allele)

I would like to add that partridge is recessive to wildtype e+

The order of dominance is E>ER>e+>eWh>eb>ey eWh/eb chicks will look somewhat intermediate but mostly yellow with a faint stripe running on the back

Okay, that was over my head but just the kind of info I enjoy. I looked up the alleles, thank you!

E, extended black
ER, birchen
e+, duckwing/wildtype
eWh, wheaten
eb, brown/partridge
ey, recessive wheaten?

Dang,
You included everyone in your reply but me.
No love for the moonshiner. :confused:

Extra love for you! :hugs I am so new to this I don't even fully understand the difference between wild type and partridge or the most basic down colors. I really like blue and blue/red combos so maybe if my roo has some of those melanisers the chicks will grow into something interesting.

They look very similar usually; the female in Partridge lacks the salmon breast that a Wildtype bird would have.
True in the wildest of form(where the only mutation is eb instead of e+) but this is thrown out of the window when genes like columbian restrictor(Co) is found on the birds, these hens seem to carry columbian at least in heterozyous form

Back
Top Bottom