Will 1 chick be ok by itself?

i had 2 chicks nd i had to seperate- one just wasn't doing s well- i put them beside eachother in two kennels. tht wy they could see each other. heat lamp provided the temps.

We're in Ohio, Cleveland-ish if any member does have a chick.

I had already planned on putting it next to the other chicks so it can see them, they're big enough now to move into the dog cage, so they can see through the door.
We don't have any hens yet and the person we got them from doesn't have any broody hens at all (which in the future for eggs will be good, just not in this case.)

The one place has a little bit older chicks, but they're out in a horse stall and they don't want it being put into a brooder type set up.

It will be a very loud chick but I have raised two chickens by their selves. Also you want to put it with other chickens as soon as possible so it can learn how to be a chicken. I kept my rooster inside for too long and he is as mean as can be. I also raised a hen by herself and when I did put her with other chickens she hid in a corner because she didn't know what they were. It took her a long time to learn chicken behavior like scratching, eating bugs and grass, and laying eggs in a box not in the middle of the run.
I just put a feather duster in with the hen and she was fine. I put a feather duster in with the rooster and he was eating it so I switched to a stuffed animal and he was mostly fine. He was a difficult chick altogether.
Make sure to keep him warm with a light too.

I have a sortof related question: When does a chick outgrow crying? I have 3 chicks hatched from incubator and they're 3.5 weeks old now. If I take one out of direct line of sight of the other two it will scream nonstop. (Or do they never outgrow it?)

Quote:
Well...I'm making a run to the hatchery (Meyer's in Polk, OH) today for supplies, I can see if they have any available. Also, check Craigslist. I am in the Cleveland area also, and I keep seeing postings from people in Oberlin and Strongsville that have chicks. There may be some in other areas near Cleveland too, I just look at those since they are near me
smile.png

I have a baby 3 day old with a 6 week old, 4 week old, 2 week old, one week old and then an assortment of other young ages. The bigger ones actually let her sleep under them like a mama. It might be something to try and see if the others will be ok with your little one. Just watch and at the first sign of aggression you can take her out. But if you are worried the stuffed animal and mirror sound like a great idea
smile.png

Meyer's did have some for sale in their store, so if you are relatively close it might be worth a drive
smile.png
A nice variety, including fancies and bantams.

Never heard of Meyers. We're still an hour from Cleveland, but thats about the closest big city.
We live with the Amish so you would think getting a chick should be easy. Of course they're not really on craigslist or online to see that I need one. I could probably just drive down the road and pick one up wandering in somebody's yard, but I couldn't just do that.

Back
Top Bottom