Will 11 week old Leghorn Roos kill each other?

tiny529

Songster
10 Years
Mar 28, 2011
I've got 9 Leghorn roos in with 9 red broilers in a chicken tractor and they are all 11 weeks old. The Leghorns have gotten significantly more aggressive recently. Will they kill each other at this age or just annoy each other? I'm hoping to wait until this weekend to slaughter them.

Even adult roosters won't kill each other. Some picking and fighting maybe, but rarely will it result in serious injury, and almost never in death. The only breeds which pose a serious threat to themselves or others are gamefowl, and even then the rules can be bent.

They are just developing some hormones, but should be okay for now. Tight quarters are a problem, and those Cornishx birds don't move around much, while the Leghorns are super busy. Mary

Yep, there are 9 Leghorn roos (they were my "males for warmth") and 2 red broiler males in there. The tractor is pretty big at 64 sq ft, but it's still tight quarters when there are 18 birds in there. The Leghorns still seem so little though, as do the female broilers. Somehow I expected the meaties to be larger at this age. The only bird that I would consider "large" is one of the broiler males, who seems to be about the size of my Salmon Faverolle hen. Still small for a meatie breed. This is the first, and probably the last, time I will bother with a meat breed. I'm too nervous to try Cornish Crosses.

I think red broilers take longer to get up to harvest weight.
CornishX would be in the freezer by 11 weeks.
Sounds like you need a second tractor.

I don't love the Cornishx birds; yes, they grow fast and freeze early, but they are so pathetic! I really like the Freedom Rangers, and have tried other red broilers too. They do grow slower, but are very tasty a bit later! You will have some drama out there, and may want to separate out your Leghorns. Mary

We are going to "take care" of all of the males tomorrow and give the girls more time to grow. I know the Leghorns won't have much meat on them, but I'm sure I can get something out of them. =)

We are going to "take care" of all of the males tomorrow and give the girls more time to grow. I know the Leghorns won't have much meat on them, but I'm sure I can get something out of them. =)
They are young enough(under 15-16 weeks) to still put on the grill for delicious crispy skin....and the grilled bones make killer stock so save them for that.
Just make sure you rest the cleaned carcasses for 48-72 hours in the fridge before freezing or cooking.

They are currently in the big cooler, filled with salty ice water. I remember reading that that was a good way to rest them. The 7 girls seem so much happier now that there aren't 11 boys (9 leghorns and 2 red broilers) jumping on them every other second. =)

So we should make sure to do the girls before they turn 16 weeks old?

Back
Top Bottom