Will a broody hen take older chicks (two weeks old)?

What a delightful story! Three broody adoptive mamas! Just wonderful!

I commend you for sticking with your broodies and being patient while allowing this "family" to form.
Haha, thanks! It was partly out of necessity, because I had to be out of town for ten days and I knew my husband had neither the desire nor the inclination to spend any more time than necessary taking care of chickens. So I was trying to make it as easy for him as possible, and having the hens living in harmony with the chicks was a huge part of that. I was thrilled when it all worked out!

It was so fun listening to all three mama hens cackle at the food while the chicks ran around from one to the other to see what they'd found. :)

I'm so glad you updated your post! I have 1 that just went broody and I have chicks right now. I'm going to give it a try!!!

And then in spring of 2016 one of those mama chickens went broody again and the timing was perfect. I got day old chicks about 3-1/2 weeks after she went broody, and I put them under her at night. Good thing I sneaked in at sunrise to see how it would go, because she tried to kill them. I never could get her to accept that batch of chicks, so I had to raise them myself and then introduce them into the flock.

One of my day old chicks from last spring turned out to be a rooster, so I might try letting a broody hen sit on real eggs this time and see how that goes. But none of my hens have gone broody yet this year.

It's always something new! Keeps it interesting. :)

This happened here yesterday, I had a broody in the coop, and recently put four chicks out there in a separate enclosure next to her, thinking that she would reject them so why try putting them together.
After a couple days she started acting protective of them and calling them to food, so I figured why not try and see what happens, and she totally adopted them all!
That time to get used to each other rather than slipping them under like newborns seemed to be the key. Last year I had chicks in that separate but available enclosure, and when they were feathered and I let them go with the big gals, all was normal.

I found it's a matter of simple chance that a broody adopts older chicks she hasn't hatched.

I posted about my broody Su-su adopting six-week old chicks and raising them until they were nearly grown. Next year I tried her with some chicks again, and she wasn't the least bit interested.

Yes, I bet there are a lot of factors that would take it one way or another. The idea of cooping newish chicks next to a broody for a time to see if her behavior goes into mother mode might be something to try though, for those who want to have adoption. Letting her get triggered by the chick's calls, getting a chance to come around over a period of days?

I know this is an old thread but I wanted to add another success story for anyone who would like to know. So I have about a 10 or 12 year old Buff Orpington named Buffy. About 6 years ago or longer, a rooster attacked her and she lost sight in her right eye. I've had to keep her separated from other birds for quite awhile because they'd peck on her and she couldn't defend herself. She's still in the coop with them but has her own fenced in area. Just about 7 months ago we let her out in the big area to hang out with the other hens and they all accepted her. She still has her own area to sleep in at night or else she wouldn't be able to find her food or water. So 5 days I got 2 easter eggers who are 3 1/2 weeks old. I figured I put them in the pen with her as she's older and very gentle, plus due her loss of sight, she'd have a hard time getting them. I put them in at night and they all slept on the low perch as well as the 2nd day...by the 3rd day she started "talking" to them and would let them know when she found food. I kept the 3 of them separated and they have their own outside area too. That night she got on the ground and was talking to them, spread one of her wings and 1 of the chicks got under her wing and the other one snuggled up against her! I will take Buffy and put her in the main outside pen with her piers but a few hours later she makes her way back over to the babies when she hears them calling for her. Since she can't see in the one eye it's difficult to maneuver but when she hears them, she gets their in record time. It has brought tears to my eyes because she's had a rough life, but now she has new purpose to her life! She's an extremely loving mom and I can tell this is what she's always wanted to be. When I get a chance tomorrow I'll take a picture of this wonderful family.

Last edited:
I know this is an old thread but I wanted to add another success story for anyone who would like to know. So I have about a 10 or 12 year old Buff Orpington named Buffy. About 6 years ago or longer, a rooster attacked her and she lost sight in her right eye. I've had to keep her separated from other birds for quite awhile because they'd peck on her and she couldn't defend herself. She's still in the coop with them but has her own fenced in area. Just about 7 months ago we let her out in the big area to hang out with the other hens and they all accepted her. She still has her own area to sleep in at night or else she wouldn't be able to find her food or water. So 5 days I got 2 easter eggers who are 3 1/2 weeks old. I figured I put them in the pen with her as she's older and very gentle, plus due her loss of sight, she'd have a hard time getting them. I put them in at night and they all slept on the low perch as well as the 2nd day...by the 3rd day she started "talking" to them and would let them know when she found food. I kept the 3 of them separated and they have their own outside area too. That night she got on the ground and was talking to them, spread one of her wings and 1 of the chicks got under her wing and the other one snuggled up against her! I will take Buffy and put her in the main outside pen with her piers but a few hours later she makes her way back over to the babies when she hears them calling for her. Since she can't see in the one eye it's difficult to maneuver but when she hears them, she gets their in record time. It has brought tears to my eyes because she's had a rough life, but now she has new purpose to her life! She's an extremely loving mom and I can tell this is what she's always wanted to be. When I get a chance tomorrow I'll take a picture of this wonderful family.
Just found this. Very sweet story about Buffy. :)

I just had a similar situation and hope for a similar out come fingersx. I have wild free range chickens and one not a good mum RIR. 2 hens went broody in the egg boxs. ? it was not the best choice and they were constantly disturbed by the other hens, ti was not ideal. the older hen hatched 1of4 eggs on Sunday, the younger hatched 1 on Monday, (that one left her and went to the old hen? )and Tuesday a 2nd chick,she has one remaining egg. the hens are Very broody, the 2 chicks did not make it, the were dead this am. the 3rd is not looking good. but 2nd hen is still sitting, the old hen dont know what to do.sitting by the empty box trying to get the 'no chick' to eat, its sad. dont laugh I went and got 2, week old chicks from the feed store, to see if that would make everyone happy. I kept the chicks in a box in the nest box, for a few hours, the hen was intrigued, I occasionally took a chick and placed it on the hens feathers without her looking at it. then back in the box when it cheeped she was very attentive. after a few hours I took the chicks out of the box and just left them in the nest, the hen came around, I stepped away . after a little while she jumped in the box. I heard her calling them to eat and to her delight this chick ate. now they are snuggled under her feathers, I hope it all remains this calm? I guess sometimes it works.

Back
Top Bottom