Will a heat lamp create a fire even if it doesn’t fall?

It’s a two story wood box.
If you are stuck at 12" by the structure design like I was stuck at 24", I'd forget about using the 250 bulbs, you'll cook them.

Have you read the heating pad hen novella yet? That's what I switched to and the direct contact method only draws 50-60W. Multiply the reduction by 5 and it's pretty significant.

ACD90858-2571-4A4A-8683-C2CDE314675E.jpeg
78A4CBAC-67CE-45FA-A278-43F8EA22A0FC.jpeg

Those spaces are pretty too small for a heat lamp,
birds can't get away from heat to self regulate....
.....not to mention pretty too small for the number of chicks stated.
5 divided sections :
X25
X25
X15
X15
X15

Total of 95 chicks under 5 lights

Those spaces are pretty too small for a heat lamp,
birds can't get away from heat to self regulate....
.....not to mention pretty too small for the number of chicks stated.

This is for a retail store, there is no possible way that you could have the one chick per square foot rule

I know people love that chart with the temperature for each week and their thermometers but if you're using an infrared bulb, your thermometer is not all that helpful. IR heats objects, not air, and thermometers measure air temp.

IR heats water vapor which increases air temperature through molecular collisions. Objects heated via IR heat air via conduction, convection (and IR).

Last edited:
It doesn't matter how cold the other end is. You just need a spot big enough for them all to go that's around 100-110F and then ample room to get away from it.

I know people love that chart with the temperature for each week and their thermometers but if you're using an infrared bulb, your thermometer is not all that helpful. IR heats objects, not air, and thermometers measure air temp.

What is the wattage of your bulb?
100° - 110°F seems way hot.
I never go over 90° or so.

100° - 110°F seems way hot.
I never go over 90° or so.
A hen is ~ 107F. The problem here is not how hot the hot spot is (although with a 250W bulb hanging that low, it's going to be hotter than that...), the issue is the lack of a cool space. Being able to cool off is just as important as being able to get warm.

If the OP is set on using bulbs, test with the 100s but leave them all on all day long and see how much heat is retained. The "cool" area will get warmer the longer those bulbs are on up to some point. I can guarantee 250W is too much. 100 is probably too much as well but IDK as I didn't ever hang my bulb that low.

Back
Top Bottom