Will a hen take care of chicks regardless if she is broody

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by easterlyfarms, Oct 12, 2009.

1. easterlyfarms

easterlyfarms Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2009
    I am testing the fertility of my hen and rooster and popped 2 eggs in the incubator. They could hatch on tuesday to early wednesday. The hen who laid them never went broody. When they hopefully hatch, could i give them to her to take care of. I would defintly bring her into the house of garage. Would i need to supply them with chick food, water. Or would i just have to give the hen food and water and she will take care of the rest? any help is much appreciated. If this doesn't work i will take care of them my self.

2. eggsrcool

eggsrcool Sussex Fanatic

Quote:A hen will only look after chicks if she is broody, or has just hatched out her own chicks. Considering the hen never went broody, she will not look after the chicks. Sorry! Oh and, [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Momo

Momo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2008
    Nelson BC
    The hen won't have a clue that they're her chicks; without the hormonal changes of broodiness she'll see them as a nice light snack.

4. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    She will kill the chick. Just like a mouse or other intruder. She will not care for it. Gloria Jean

5. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    I agree with everyone else. Time to set a brooder in the house. The hen won't take care of the chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by