Will a Lightbar get on with bantams

Rock17

Songster
Feb 17, 2024
England
I am getting three more chickens in early April. A relative wanted a blue egg layer. We currently have two bantam silkies, one chinese silkie on the larger side and one bantam faverolle. We will be getting a cream legbar cross light sussex and two pekins (smaller cochin bantams for those of you in the us). Will the lightbar get on with the bantams?

The Legbar mix may bully the bantams as it will be the biggest bird in the flock. My own legbar is very outgoing and I often see her pecking at her flockmates when they get in her way. I don’t think it would be a good choice, but each bird is different and she may get along with the bantams.
There are also other bantam breeds that do lay blue eggs, such as ameraucana bantams.

The Legbar mix may bully the bantams as it will be the biggest bird in the flock. My own legbar is very outgoing and I often see her pecking at her flockmates when they get in her way. I don’t think it would be a good choice, but each bird is different and she may get along with the bantams.
There are also other bantam breeds that do lay blue eggs, such as ameraucana bantams.
I know other breeds lay blue eggs but no one has got any for sale. My bantam faverolle is extremely strong willed and probably thinks she is a malay so I am not worried about her. My chinese silkie is very, very big for a silkie (is 3 times the size of are smallest silkie) the other two are both bantams but are friends and if my top hen pecks at on the other one pecks her from the side. Am more worried about the pekins. I am told they are very strong willed but I am not so sure

Also the lightbar is part sussex. I know they have good temperaments. If I find a bantam araucana (americanas basically dont exist in the uk) I will look into getting it instead

Back
Top Bottom