Will a little rain hurt???

Pine Roost

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 16, 2012
South Carolina
Right now I have my 10 chickens in a 12x12 run with a coop attached to one side. The run is uncovered and we have been getting some rain lately. The temp is not bad...probablly in the mid 40's but certainly not to the freezing point yet. (I'm in SC) My question is: Will the chickens getting rained on hurt anything?....the birds themselves or egg production? They have the option to stay in the coop where it's dry, but for some reason they like being in the rain..? Dont know why, but they like it.

Thoughts on this please. Thanks.

Mine go out in the rain and don't seem to suffer any ill effects. As long as they can get shelter if they want it, I say let them do what they want to do!

Our Orps are in and out of the coop when it rains. If it's really pouring they do stay inside, but handling them after being out in the rain makes it seem their feathers are pretty waterproof because they feel dry.

They are farm animals and are made to be out in the elements. Mine stay out all the time and just go in the hen house to lay eggs and sleep. I do have a covered run for them and that is to keep it from getting too wet. The wetter the run area the more it stinks. They still get wet from heavy rains and they stay out in it. I am concerned with winter and keeping them warm but I tell myself again and again. They are farm animals and have their own natural way to deal with the elements. Doesn't get that cold here in Missouri for long spells anyway. I just wish the poop below their roost didn't freeze into big clumps. Makes it hard to clean.

I've noticed that my hens were much more likely to be out and about when they were in their first year and had a rooster with them. Now, they go in the coop at the slightest hint of inclement weather. Rain? Indoors. Wind? Indoors. Fog? Cold? Indoors! I'm frankly not sure if they were out because they didn't like being in the coop with the rooster harassing them or if it's their age showing. But no, a little rain won't hurt them at 40 degrees. I had one in particular that would go out and get sopping wet when it was hot outside and a thunderstorm hit. I'm pretty sure it was intentional -- she was rather loose-feathered and seemed the least tolerant of heat.

Back
Top Bottom