Will A Mama Hen take back Absentee Chicks

sweetshoplady

Songster
11 Years
Feb 4, 2008
Venice, Florida
My mama hen, Gypsy, hatched out 7 chicks. They're about a week old. One little chick decided it would go on an adventure and got caught in the netting and wire at the base of the pheasants area. She got turned upside down and one of the pheasants started pecking at her toes. I got the little chick free and she was missing 2 1/2 toes on one foot. I think the pheasant thought she had found some worms.

I now have the little cutie inside so I can keep her foot clean and tended to. I grabbed a second little chick to keep her company so she wouldn't be alone.

The foot appears to be healing well and I want it healed before I put them back. Will the mama hen take them back? Or do I now have 2 little chicks to raise myself?

I will hopefully have a few chicks to hatch out in a couple weeks. At what age can I put these together, if I am the one who has to raise these 2.

You never know.

I've seen it both ways.

Put them under her at night but then watch carefully the next morning. Sometimes the hen will act like its no big deal

When I was a kid we tried it once and the mother hen wouldn't have anything to do with them once they had been away for a few days. We had to raise them. YUK.

She should take them back !! Ive put many chicks under my broody after she has hatched her own and have never had a problem.

Like Mahonri said, do it at night (I would check on them a few times before bed) and she should be fine with them the next morning !!

Good luck !!

Back
Top Bottom