Will a Muscovy drake sucessfully breed with Rouen, Magpie, or Swedish?

BjsBestGirl

Songster
9 Years
Apr 14, 2010
1832 MC 4008
I have a Muscovy Drake (I think drake) named Freddy. I was just wondering if he could sucessfully fertilize an egg with a Magpie/Ancona, Rouen, Pekin, Runner, or Black Swedish hen? Also, "Freddy" (the Muscovy) is only half the size of our young Swedish which are only half his age. I know Swedish dont get very big, but it seems as though Freddy has hit a growth stunt. Will he stay small? He is about 2 months old but he is the same size as our 1 month old Swedish and they are still outgrowing him. He is VERY long from bill to tail and VERY stalky but he is just small in comparison. Also, His tail feathers are different than my other ducks. Most my ducks have tail feathers that come to a point like a V. Freddy's feathers come to two W's. like this "WWW". Ill try to get a pic of all this. He is the most friendly of all my ducks. We hatched him with a dozen others but he's the only one we had left. So we became his mommy and daddy. He would sleep on our necks and curl up in my hair. Very precious.

Thanks,
Christine

He will be able to mate with any other duck breed. But if you hatch any of the eggs then the ducklings will all be mules (not able to reproduce).

That's good though right? Since theres that new Muscovy ordanance thingy. I just want to make sure he can still be happy and "have fun" with the girls. And if the girls DO happen to "have babies" by him that they wont come out mutated or something.

So its just like a breeding a horse and a Donkey right? And the Mule is infertile. Would it make a diffenence if the Muscovy is male or female? What if Freddy was Freddie (a girl) would her babies be infertile still? If "she" (muscovy) bred with a different breed, would it make a difference with the babies being infertile?

Okay--I'm going to ask just because I tried looking it up and the article was WAY to technical for me to understand (looked like a doctorial disertation). So do the female mules lay eggs?

The female mules that I had as a kid could not lay eggs. They would make a nest, pull feathers and go broody-but no eggs. Given fertile eggs to hatch, they were great mothers.

Back
Top Bottom