Apr 16, 2020
Hi, recently we have been discussing wether or not to get a rooster to house with our 7 hens. Having pekins and other fancy breeds they tend to go broody this time of year anyway so that’s not a problem, quite a few people around us have cockerels too therefore Noise isn’t really an issue (we would look for a quiter breed however) I was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice on what to do? Do cockerels effect the laying of hens? Obviously with my best layers being broody we’re not getting too many eggs at the moment, could a cockerel make it worse or is it the right decision?

A cockerel might make laying worse. Some are just not all that nice to their hens. Favorite hens might have bare backs. Stress might lower your egg count.

My experience is that a coop is usually quieter and fewer hassles with no rooster. In this case the hens get into their pecking order and all stays calm. Last rooster I had took a dislike to the Alpha hen. He tried to peck her to death. Back of her neck looked like raw meat. He did this twice. He should not have done that to my favorite hen. He went to freezer camp.

I used a very simple way of breaking my broody hens. Bought plastic food storage containers with lids. They were a couple inches tall and big enough to take up most of the nest. Filled those containers with ice a couple times a day. Within a few days none of the hens were broody.

Initially, it may take time for your hens to get used to having a Big Man on Campus, but they will. The only difference in their laying will be that they will be laying fertile eggs! I was hesitant when I kept my first rooster, but now I can’t imagine having a flock without one!!!!
Best wishes & Be well! ❤️

A cockerel might make laying worse. Some are just not all that nice to their hens. Favorite hens might have bare backs. Stress might lower your egg count.

My experience is that a coop is usually quieter and fewer hassles with no rooster. In this case the hens get into their pecking order and all stays calm. Last rooster I had took a dislike to the Alpha hen. He tried to peck her to death. Back of her neck looked like raw meat. He did this twice. He should not have done that to my favorite hen. He went to freezer camp.

I used a very simple way of breaking my broody hens. Bought plastic food storage containers with lids. They were a couple inches tall and big enough to take up most of the nest. Filled those containers with ice a couple times a day. Within a few days none of the hens were broody.
Freeze camp. Thank you for the laugh, sorry I found that funny.

I vote for getting a few straight run chicks of a heritage breed sized appropriate to your flock weight wise. The flock should be able to teach those cockerels their manners before they get the chance to go to the dark side. If you have no desire to raise a larger flock or have the ability to expand your own for very little investment then I would stick with what you have.

Ok thank you, i’ll definitely take this into consideration as i don’t want that happening to anyone! I might have to rethink especially as i have 2 rather small birds. Thank you so much for the help😊

Initially, it may take time for your hens to get used to having a Big Man on Campus, but they will. The only difference in their laying will be that they will be laying fertile eggs! I was hesitant when I kept my first rooster, but now I can’t imagine having a flock without one!!!!
Best wishes & Be well! ❤️
Thank you!😊 You too!

I vote for getting a few straight run chicks of a heritage breed sized appropriate to your flock weight wise. The flock should be able to teach those cockerels their manners before they get the chance to go to the dark side. If you have no desire to raise a larger flock or have the ability to expand your own for very little investment then I would stick with what you have.
We are looking to expand our flock our little as we have room for some more, we do currently have some eggs in an incubator after the broody failed to look after them so one of them might have potential. What age would you say to put them in with my main run?

It all depends on your girls. I've been thowing my broody silkies into the grow out pen with my 12 day old Sumatra chicks as I have no more space for broody prisoners. If you only have one run and no free range options then I would look here:

Will be a follow on article edited in here. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/introducing-new-chickens-using-the-“see-but-don’t-touch”-method.67839/

I still suggest looking at heritage breeds they tend to be reliable broodies. check them out here:
https://livestockconservancy.org/index.php/heritage/internal/heritage-chicken-faq

There is a great heritage breed chart if you look for their pickachicken.pdf

Attachments

• pickachicken.pdf
    382.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
It all depends on your girls. I've been thowing my broody silkies into the grow out pen with my 12 day old Sumatra chicks as I have no more space for broody prisoners. If you only have one run and no free range options then I would look here:

Will be a follow on article edited in here. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/introducing-new-chickens-using-the-“see-but-don’t-touch”-method.67839/

I still suggest looking at heritage breeds they tend to be reliable broodies. check them out here:
https://livestockconservancy.org/index.php/heritage/internal/heritage-chicken-faq

There is a great heritage breed chart if you look for their pickachicken.pdf

Thank you, i will definitely look at the links you have sent me!👍🏻😊

Back
Top Bottom