Will an egg swallowed by a snake then quickly recovered hatch?

Cajunsamoan

Songster
10 Years
Mar 2, 2009
Louisiana
I have a broody Pekin on day 21. Everyday I open the door to her "broody house" and she quickly dips in the pool. Today I opened the door and saw the neighbor coming up the driveway. I walked over and we talkied for maybe half an hour. I come back to close the door and my duck is sitting NEXT to the nest. I look in the nest and a snake is just swallowing an egg. It was just behind his head. I grabbed a stick and pulled him out of the nest and poked at him. I've seen stressed snakes regurgitate birds before so I was hoping he would give up my egg. He did. Will it still hatch? I don't know the digestive process of snakes. Does it start immediately? Have any of you had experience with this? I just hope that my broody will get back on.

I think it will hatch just fine. Snakes digest their food by coating it with chemicals to break it down. If the egg shell is intact, I would think it is fine as long as it did not get too cool which I doubt based on the timeline given in your post. Keep in mind, snakes love baby chicks also. I hope you have rid yourself of that snake by either relocation or eradication.

Thank you! I do everything I can to prevent snakes getting into the coops and this was just a silly mistake on my part. I was just worried how soon they began to digest. I will feel better now, thank you. I will be much more careful to close the door.

Back
Top Bottom