Will both crow?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tiffanya, Sep 16, 2010.

1. tiffanya

tiffanya Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    I just got my first chicks in June. Two of the twelve turned out to be roosters (1 I knew, 1 was a surprise). My Sussex crowed for the first time when he was 11 weeks. They are 15 weeks now and my Rhode Island Red hasn't crowed yet. I know it isn't extraordinarily late for him to crow, but I've heard only the dominant rooster will crow. Is this true? What have your experiences been?

2. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    I normally have more than one roo with my flock and they both have always crowed. Maybe you got lucky and ended up with a non crowing roo:D He may just be taking longer to mature.

3. mrsmaonaigh

mrsmaonaigh Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    SE Georgia
    We had 4 roosters and every single one of them would crow. All day long. Two of them took a little while longer to crow than the others but eventually they all crowed.

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Nope, they will both crow.

I have 2 roosters in the same pen, and they both crow. My welsummer is alpha and chases the other rooster around. But the subordinate rooster still crows. (in fact he crows MORE than the alpha roo)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by