Will broody surrogate keep getting broody after she raises the chicks?

Dhkoenig

Songster
Sep 21, 2020
Bergen County New Jersey
We are thinking about putting some day old chicks under our broody hen. She is SUCH a broody girl, unlike other hens I have broken, she really is tremendously difficult to break and she goes broody often. If she gets to raise some babies will she still keep going broody?

We are thinking about putting some day old chicks under our broody hen. She is SUCH a broody girl, unlike other hens I have broken, she really is tremendously difficult to break and she goes broody often. If she gets to raise some babies will she still keep going broody?
Probably. I have a hen that has hatched 2 batches in 10 weeks, as well as fostered some ducklings for a few days between batches

For pure native hens here in the Philippines, going broody after laying a clutch of 12 to 17 eggs is part of the normal cycle, they always go broody unlike exotic heritage chicken breeds like white leghorns, Barred Plymouth Rock s and Rhode Island Reds which are normally not broody. With crossbreeds of native and exotic breeds, my friend's experience is that the hens lay for a much longer time then eventually they go broody,

Back
Top Bottom