Will/Can chicks suffocate in incubator?

ACGM

Chirping
Aug 25, 2019
I have chicks hatching now (six hatched, waiting/hoping the other five hatch soon). I have not opened the incubator but my husband has brought up a good point about the chicks suffocating because it doesn’t appear or mention anything about new air getting circulated in. This is the incubator I have: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RKR3LKX/?tag=backy-20

It does circulate the internal air of the incubator. I obviously don’t want to interfere with the chicks trying to hatch but I don’t want the ones that have hatched to potentially suffocate. Is this a possibility? And if so, should I barely crack it for half a second to let some air in?

:welcome :frow I do take out the hatched chicks and put them in a temporary brooder to dry out. After I take the chicks out I mist the remaining eggs and it helps bring the humidity back up rather quickly.
2013-04-25 20.23.05.jpg

All incubators have vents to bring in oxygen. The embryos in the eggs need oxygen or they will die. They actually breathe through the shells. So if they are hatching, it means they are getting plenty of oxygen and the incubator shouldn't be opened unless you can do so without risking a drop in your humidity, which may shrinkwrap any eggs that haven't hatches yet.

All incubators have vents to bring in oxygen. The embryos in the eggs need oxygen or they will die. They actually breathe through the shells. So if they are hatching, it means they are getting plenty of oxygen and the incubator shouldn't be opened unless you can do so without risking a drop in your humidity, which may shrinkwrap any eggs that haven't hatches yet.

That was my thinking but I couldn’t articulate an answer for him on how they were getting oxygen. Thank you!

:welcome :frow I do take out the hatched chicks and put them in a temporary brooder to dry out. After I take the chicks out I mist the remaining eggs and it helps bring the humidity back up rather quickly.
View attachment 1889987

This is my first hatch so I am very “by the book” right now. Maybe after I do it a few more times I can gain the confidence to do that because I feel bad for these chicks that have hatched a couple days early. I also feel like my incubator lets out all the humidity the second I open it because it’s so small so I’m very weary of opening it even a smidge.

Back
Top Bottom