Will Chickens Eat Eachother?

ChickenClo

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 30, 2011
I was researching about chickens and saw that there are things that will block the chickens sight to "control cannabilism". I was all like "WHAT?!". So my question is: Will my chickens eat eachother?

There are cases where chickens start pecking on each other, like when they are overcrowded. That can turn to cannibalism if there are open wounds and blood, as chickens are attracted to the red color. Other than that, my chickens love chicken, when it is cooked and chopped up.

Chickens are Omnivores, eat both plants and meat. Under normal circumstances, they do not attack one another unless there is blood. And usually, even then, if you notice the injury, and separate the injured animal, no further problems will occur. Cannibalism, when blood is not seen is NOT a normal behavior.

Last edited:
I'll say yes they will. I haven't had them eat each others skin yet but I've seen my rooster pick the girls feathers & feed them back to the girls. I'd say thats eating each other. If you see this behaviour by all means keep an eye on them its a serious behaviour problem could cause death. Sorry to be so blunt but I've had this problem for quite awhile. After the roo did this everyone joined in. Monkey see monkey do.

Back
Top Bottom