Will chickens go through a flap like a dog door??

Winter

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 2, 2008
I was wondering if in winter the chickens would go in and out of the coop through a plastic flap like on a dog door. I thought it would be a good way to preserve warmth in the coop but still allowing them access during the day to the run?

Good question Winter, we were wondering the same thing.
idunno.gif

I have curtains over my nest boxes to block out light as my girls won't lay well if there is too much light in the boxes, works like a charm. Some people use the heavy clear shelf liner on their pop doors, start with a strip on each side till they get used to it then add strips till you get it covered.

The wife (JSC)was talking to me about this very thing last week. She wanted me to put a pet door on their "pop" hole. Then it would have the slide in part to lock them in at night.
RWexploded200.gif

JSC's Hubby
16.gif

Oh I cant wait to show off the pics of the "pop door" that GopherBoy has invented to put in our chicken house!! We are taking step by step pics of it so as soon as its in we will post the pics.

My two have observed the cat coming and going through his cat flap and peck at it quite violently. I am sure that they would be in if it did not have a magnetic lock.

My birds have rubber strips that I placed over the Pop Hole OPening, to help keep the snow, rain and wind out. Works great and the chickens dont mind. The key is, they have to be able to see whats on the other side, or they wont go through.

100_9708.jpg

100_5111.jpg

100_5108.jpg

100_5107.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom