Will chickens help my depression?

A funny thing happened today. I phoned my eldest daughter (I phone them both on a Sunday) and she was at her boyfriends house. She is 19, and she told me today that she passed her trial period at work. I told her that I was so proud of her for getting an apprenticeship at 16 as a hairdresser, which is what she always wanted, and when she completed that, she had a month without work and then straight into another great job.

I said I miss her and her sister and love them dearly. I told her that I was thinking about selling the house in Wales and moving back to Cheshire to be closer to them and my family. She said "but dad, it was always your dream to have a lovely house with land near the beach, and to have chickens". I paused for a minute, and then it sunk in. I said, no Chelsea, my dream was to have 2 wonderful children that would grow up to be beautiful, caring and smart, and that's exactly what I have got.

It made me realize, that I have been successful, I have done some wonderful things and have 2 amazing daughter and a wife that is so in love with me, if a little over the top that is, and I have travelled all over the world. And you know, it really put things into perspective today and I felt really great all afternoon. A big big smile on my face today.
ya.gif

Yippeee!!! Good thoughts! You are loved by others and it sounds like you have done many things that makes a wonderful impact on many people! Go with the happy moment! we are all here for you!!!

John, hang on to those words from your daughter and your instinctive response. You have done a good job with your daughters, now start being good to yourself. I've told you before - YOU deserve to be happy.

A funny thing happened today. I phoned my eldest daughter (I phone them both on a Sunday) and she was at her boyfriends house. She is 19, and she told me today that she passed her trial period at work. I told her that I was so proud of her for getting an apprenticeship at 16 as a hairdresser, which is what she always wanted, and when she completed that, she had a month without work and then straight into another great job.

I said I miss her and her sister and love them dearly. I told her that I was thinking about selling the house in Wales and moving back to Cheshire to be closer to them and my family. She said "but dad, it was always your dream to have a lovely house with land near the beach, and to have chickens". I paused for a minute, and then it sunk in. I said, no Chelsea, my dream was to have 2 wonderful children that would grow up to be beautiful, caring and smart, and that's exactly what I have got.

It made me realize, that I have been successful, I have done some wonderful things and have 2 amazing daughter and a wife that is so in love with me, if a little over the top that is, and I have travelled all over the world. And you know, it really put things into perspective today and I felt really great all afternoon. A big big smile on my face today.
ya.gif

Isn't it wonderful? That moment when you suddenly realise how much you really do have and how much you have actually achieved? You have successfully raised a beautiful family and now you know it. Well done! Keep on that line of thought and don't forget it. Now you have a wonderful wife who cares so much for you. Keep hold of her and tell her you know how special she is. You are a lucky man. Now you have some new "girls" in your life that you can successfully care for and they will give you unconditional love no matter what. If you focus on the positive and keep yourself active you're on the road to success.

As so many others have said, we are all here to help. Some of us have been there ourselves or are still there now. It's the friends and communication that gets us through. Isn't it wonderful how we've all come together in this thread and we all get something out of the positive words from each other? It's doing wonders for me and reiterates how caring people really can be. Keep it up friends.
smile.png

Hey John - Haven't heard anything about you or the chickens in a while. How are Korma and the rest of the flock (including you) doing?

This one chicken is thinner than the others. The ladder is a flat board with wood screwed to it for grip, and it is all solid so nothing can fall through it. I have watched her at night as they all go up to bed, she takes the ladder really slowely, then when she is near the top, she jumps up the rest of the way, while all the other just march up in single file then step through to the coop. And this is the ladder. Since this picture I have added more wood to the steps to give them better grip.
Once upon a time I built my own A-frame coop with bottom access via a ladder like yours. After a while, I determined the ladder was at too sharp an angle, so I propped the bottom on a concrete clock. Then I cut the opening a bit longer so the adult chickens did not have to duck so much to get into the upstairs section. Not much, just another two inches. Made it a longer rectangle. Could the ramp be too steep for your one gal?

Once upon a time I built my own A-frame coop with bottom access via a ladder like yours. After a while, I determined the ladder was at too sharp an angle, so I propped the bottom on a concrete clock. Then I cut the opening a bit longer so the adult chickens did not have to duck so much to get into the upstairs section. Not much, just another two inches. Made it a longer rectangle.

Could the ramp be too steep for your one gal?
I agree on the steepness. We have a girl who could not manage the steepness of the ladder we had.
mg

Chickens helped me with my depression when my parents were getting divorced. They are still going after each other and sueing each other but if I ever wanna cry I hold my favorite chicken, Lulu. She seems to know I'm sad and I always felt better after I cuddled with her. Shes Helps me through thick and thin. she even makes me laugh sometimes.

Heres Lulu, She's pretty fat :hmm

Last edited:
Chickens helped me a lot when ever I was mad, sad, feeling like crap. I just sit there and stair at them, pet them. I don't have children yet but I treat the chickens like children.

One of the things I admire about animals is their ability to live in the present, without fear of the future or rehashing sad events from the past. They stoically withstand adversity, and enjoy what there is to enjoy in life. Just think of a broody hen - sitting glued in place for weeks, willing to forgo water and food, without any guarantee that she will end up with chicks as a reward. Such patience!

Back
Top Bottom