Will Coturnix quails use nest boxes?

It doesn't have to open from the top. The side works, too.

Some setups work with a coop—but I've had success without one. Just make sure they'll have protection from wind and driving rain/snow and the quail will be fine.

The side? I didn't even think about that. Thank you! :D

Check this out made by a pair of my quail...
View attachment 1708531
Quail love grass hay! LOL

I kept my quail in aviaries on dirt floors, using grass hay as bedding. As long as you predator proof all the edges on the run area so that nothing digs, rips, paws or shimmies through, you can keep them on the ground. (Everything eats quail, over build along the bottom). Once they get used to their digs, use the ramp and feel comfortable using the coop, usually they go inside during bad weather. You may on occasion have to put them inside yourself.

Woah, they really do! I guess I'll have to put in some grass hay, aye?

Quail don't put themselves into a shelter during bad weather???

Quail will sit right out in the open during a freezing rain if they want to. I'm not saying they aren't smart, but they will not run for cover like chicken. They're ground birds, and in the wild most ground birds don't have that much protection, so they don't really seek it out.

Check out this website for quail cage/tractor info:
https://www.gardenupgreen.com/2016/07/diy-quail-coop.html

All her quail info:
https://www.gardenupgreen.com/category/quail

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I couldn't find any quail specific tractor info until you came along. <3

IMG_4455.JPG

We have a movable run/coop setup. We have found that around 4 girls lay in the yellow coop, around 4 girls lay in the guinea pig houses, & the rest drop eggs wherever the heck they feel like it. The first picture (I accidentally posted by itself) is the entire thing from the outside. We got the run (pre-made kit) on sale from Tractor Supply, the yellow coop on sale from My Pet Chicken, gray coop on sale on Amazon, & the guinea pig houses from Chewy.com. Just like humans, everyone will do what they want.
IMG_4456.JPG
IMG_4458.JPG

Definitely do not use anything that opens from the top. My first cage had a pop-top, and I underestimated their flight capeabilities

I'll be sure to make a door on the side of the tractor. :)

We have a movable run/coop setup. We have found that around 4 girls lay in the yellow coop, around 4 girls lay in the guinea pig houses, & the rest drop eggs wherever the heck they feel like it. The first picture (I accidentally posted by itself) is the entire thing from the outside. We got the run (pre-made kit) on sale from Tractor Supply, the yellow coop on sale from My Pet Chicken, gray coop on sale on Amazon, & the guinea pig houses from Chewy.com. Just like humans, everyone will do what they want.View attachment 1711460 View attachment 1711461

The guinea pig houses are adorable, haha. Do you have issues with the eggs freezing in the winter if the quail just lay wherever?

You shouldn't have to worry about frozen quail eggs in the winter unless you live somewhere very tropical and sunny, as they need about 14 hours of sun to produce eggs. Mine shut down production from October to April. We're getting almost 13 hours of daylight now, and they still haven't started back up for the year.

I'll be sure to make a door on the side of the tractor. :)

The guinea pig houses are adorable, haha. Do you have issues with the eggs freezing in the winter if the quail just lay wherever?

We don't use artificial light so we don't have to worry about that. Mother Nature planned ahead on that one! Plus, we check them every day so the eggs aren't out there too long.

Ours laid half way through November & we just started getting eggs on March 19th.

Back
Top Bottom