Will drakes kill their own ducklings?

I would drive some posts, put some fencing up and attach it with bailing wire. If you can't do that then I suppose you would have to buy a pen. The only pre-made pens I can think of you could buy would be a dog pen and I don't think they make them bigger than 48 inches. This pen is fairly priced.

You could go down to your tractor supply store or what have you and see if they offer pre-made fencing/pens.

Wherever you put him, make sure he has a bucket of water to dunk his head in.
And how much space does one duck need? The one you sent a link to on Amazon, do you think that is an acceptable size for one duck?

No, I don't think that is enough space for one duck, but if it's just a couple weeks....
@Miss Lydia ?

As far as the roof, you should put a tarp over it and secure it to the pen.
Ok again, thank you so much for the help! I will be going tomorrow to find something to keep him separate for a while.

And your worried about something getting into a pen your keeping your drake in what about the ones outside? they are really sitting ducks [no pun intended] I would def separate your drake I had a full grown Muscovy kill another full grown Muscovy here at the river so yes drakes can kill ducklings and even adult duck. [They were not my ducks then they were feral.] Free range during the day brings risks free range during dark give predators lots of good eating. That pen will need hardware cloth around the bottom at least 2' up and under neathe to keep out diggers and 2' up from the bottom to keep raccoons from reaching in and grabby your drake and trying to pull him through the fencing which is a horrible pic to come out to in the morning. plus you'll need to anchor the pen to the ground somehow to keep it from moving. If something large like coyotes are trying to get to your drake.

The 48 inch space pen would be fine for night time, but not 24/7. I agree that you really should get them an enclosure for night. The amount of predators varies where you live and can change. Three years ago we didn't have many predators. Now we've seen 2 mountain lions, 1 bobcat, and hear coyotes all the time.

Back
Top Bottom