Will guinea pig run away?

I noticed our zoo have GP in their enclosure outside in a dog house. Cute and healthy and happy, oh boy, they sure love to play! I didnt think they could live outside all year long. I do remember having guinea pigs as a child and had one at a time. I love my Maya and missed her! She lived to be at least five years old. And we had another one that my father decided to put the male GP in a rabbit hutch and it lived for a few months during the winter months. I am not sure how cold tolerant they are but with shelter and a buddy or two they probably would be fine.

I may be wrong here but can you have as many females in a herd?

I like to keep three females in with a breeding boar max. We also have a sow weanling pen that max out at six, but we have to monitor it a lot. It has extra water bottles and many different feed cups and bins with lots of space to run. Sows tend to have more issues living in a group than boars do actually. I have this conversation with many people looking for a sow for a pet. Not to say all are rotten, but you get that one and it will starve everyone in the cage. Had a call a few months back about what to do with a guinea pig that attacks. Rarely do you hear about one like that, but my first question was if it was a sow. Sure enough. The sow had only been home from the pet store a few days and these were adults with no children. After all said and done I think that that particular guinea pig was put down as it also attacked other pigs back at the pet store and a couple employees. The customer in question purchased another pig from a breeder in her area that was a boar.

And with that entire history of rotten sows, I have a few precious ones here in our caviary that I love to pieces. Lost my very best one last year to old age. She was pushing 6 and had been the Grandma to our baby sows for years. Never did anything mean and always the first to come get pets, treats and be held. She loved the babies that was for sure. Gosh and addicted to yogurt too! LOL

I know that guinea pigs have and will continue to be bought as a single pet. After having so many for the last several years and knowning their herd temperments, I no longer suggest one as a single pet. Even if you are looking for same sex pairs. Just need to be prepared to let the pecking order happen. Sort of like our horses.

My sister and I had Abyssinian guinea pigs when we were kids. They're the punky pineapple looking ones
big_smile.png
We had a sow each and they were the best kids' pets (well as good as you can get without having a dog!). They had a hutch and run outside but my mom would bring them inside during the winter and if it was rainy. They were happy indoors in great big cardboard boxes with shavings and hay and feed, and my mom made them a salad twice a day. We'd often let them run around the house too. They were sisters and mine died when it was 6, my sister's when it was 7. They really are happiest with little piggy friends.

I think i might be shot at my next comment. I'm a bit freaked out with the rodent thing so I don't hold it much (great farmers wife I am) and I have no clue whether its male or female. Are they easy to sex and will my little boy see clearly if i tell him what to look for? If its a sow and I get a baby boar will this be a problem?

big_smile.png
lau.gif

Sorry I picture a farmer's wife up on a kitchen chair with a broom! LOL

Ok, kidding aside, they really are not hard if they are adults. Basically (and you can have your child do this) hold the pig in your hands belly side up to you. push just above the area and if something pokes out you have a boy. LOL Simple terms here. Boys look like a lower case i as babies and grow larger as an adult. Girls have a Y look about them. Great pictures in Wanda Curran's book "Your Guinea Pig, A kid's guide to raising and showing."

Good luck!

I guess I am the opposite, out of my 40 or so piggies I love the personality of most of my girls and only have one or two boys that have a super sweet outgoing attitudes, not to say I dont love them too they just arent seeking my attention all the time like the girls. All my girls are always up at the front begging and love scratched and attention. I have had one aggressive female and she wasnt aggressive towards people at all just other females(not males) so she had to stay by herself when not in breeding so she didnt beat anyone up. Otherwise I cage all my girls 3-6 in a cage, I have big open runs so they have lots of room and they all help care for eachother babies and cuddle up in big pig piles.

I also took in a pet female she was brought back to petco twice and determined aggressive and a "biter" but she is sweet as pie here, loves me and she stays with other females and is an angel.

here is a guide on sexing g-pigs
http://www.guinealynx.info/sexing.html

Back
Top Bottom