Will Hawks Attack With Someone Right There?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mylied

Crowing
9 Years
Mar 12, 2012
Middle Georgia
I brought my almost 2 week old chicks outside today because it was such a nice day. The coop/run is still a work in progress so there is no top cover on the run yet. I was sitting out there with them and my 2 boys when I heard a hawk. Another hawk answered and I looked up to see two hawks circling. I shooed the chicks under the coop to get them out of sight, but when I looked up again, one by one, three more hawks started circling. I was beginning to think it wasn't a coincidence, so we gathered up the chicks and brought them back inside. The run is about 8' X 16' and the 3 of us were sitting right next to the chicks. Would a hawk really attack with a human sitting by? I didn't want to take any chances, but I'd like to know for future reference as I hope to let the chickens run around the yard (we've got about 2 acres fenced)sometimes with us out there when they are grown.

Yes they will attack right next to you. They have no fear, and are very intelligent, they can tell when you turn your back. I had a hawk snatch up a BO pullet that was following behind me, when I turned around it was just flying away. The attack happened literally 10 feet away, if that. The hawk waited until my back was turned to do this.

My husband was out in the yard, our little golden seabright hen was about 6 feet away. A hawk flew down and tried to grab her, ripped out half of her tail feathers, she turned around and was fighting back, they were rolling around on the ground. He ran over and kicked the hawk, it flew away finally. And his back was not turned, the hawk just didn't care that he was there.

Yes, because when a hawk zeroes in on its prey, that is all it sees, that one thing it is aiming for. It doesn't really see the surroundings at the same time like other birds of prey such as eagles do.

Yes. I've had one within 10 ft of me swooping down for a chicken. I jumped at the chickens to make them move FAST, he missed. Sat in the tree for awhile afterwards after I put them back up.

Last edited:
If you invested effort like a mother hen and stood guard over foraging chicks, keeping them under your skirt by clucking, you could prevent even most brazen hawk from taking them. You must be aware of hawk, position yourself between it and brood, and look it in eye as approaches. You gotta move, flapping arms helps greatly. Hawk will notice if you move enough. If it presses attack, swat the sucker. It will be moving at about speed of smartly thrown softball and slow before making contact with target.

yes they will. turned my back for a minute and a hawk tried creeping into my coop. between me and my roo we managed to chase him off. also, had one literally buzz my head going after one of my girls. once they get locked onto prey the seem to block everything else out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom