Will he ever get up the nerve to breed her?

DuckieG

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 11, 2009
Traphill, NC
I have 2, 4 1/2 month old BO roos that are now in with the 2 big girls,(1 year old),and 7 other 4 month old pullets. I want one of these two roos to be the new man of the flock. One of the BO hens is really, really bossy. She isn't beating up on the babies but, when she walks in the coop, everyone scatters and lets her eat, dust bathe and pick her spot on the roost. The roos are terrified of her. I want babies in a few months and that does require that the boys get closer than 3 feet. Should I pull her out of the flock for awhile to let them grow up or will testosterone take care of things? Neither roo has crowed yet but they are pretty sizable, almost as big as the grumpy hen.

I'm very interested to see how others respond to this as well, I have some pretty bossy little pullets that will be laying in the nest couple/several weeks as well. The seas part when they come through the coop and the yard as well. I "think" the guys will take command when it comes to breeding, but my little bossy girls will continue to rule the flock. Hope someone else chimes in; I will be watching to see what sage advice/experience has to say!

I have a hen that is THE boss but still allows the roo to mate with her on a regular basis. But I can tell from the difference on their backs that she doesn't let him get carried away with it.

Eventually, one of them will 'take charge'. My guess would be around 5-6 months old.

Here's an example...
Last year I had a GLW cockerel that was a mystery chick with a hatchery order. He grew into be the meanest little coop mate by 3 /12 months! I even called him Mean Azz! LOL

So, I tossed his butt in with my layer flock of 20+ hens. Hah hahaha...they took him down a few notches. He learned to stay out of those gals way in very short order. They ran him away from the feeders, etc. Just what he needed!
wink.png

BUT, when he reached about 5 months, he got manly, took charge and started mating. Your young guys will rise to the occassion when they mature.

Tell ya a little story. I once bought 4 ee hens, `cause I was enamered with blue/green eggs. One of the hens, a big black gal, was too aggressive for the other 3, so I put her in with a 4 month old Spanish Game stag. She beat on him all the time. Chased him around and his refuge was the roost. I was out feeding one day, the rooster was now about 7 months, if I remember right, and he was hungry enough to risk her wrath. Well, this time was a little different. As I watched, she wailed into him as usuall, but this time it made him mad. I could see the anger boiling up in him as he proceeded to fight back, then beat her, then chase her around the pen and she took refuge in the nest box. He calmed down after a while and she began to show him a little , no a lot, of respect. Bear in mind that this rooster was about 3 1/2 lbs and the hen was a big girl at about 6. It did my heart good to watch as this drama unfolded.

Young roosters take a lot of abuse from older hens, but as they mature, they will take their place as macho head of the flock. Give him some time to mature......Pop

These stories make me feel much better. I look forward to the day that the big mean hen is knocked down a few pegs! She is sweet as can be with people so I just can't believe how terrible she treats the boys.
hmm.png

I would remove the roos for 2 more months then bring them back when they are older. This way that hens can not bully them to death and they will mature without her dominating them. Then when they are brought back they can handle her on thier terms not hers.

Quote:
Are you sure you are talking about a chicken? Cuz this sounds exactly like one of my daughters.
hu.gif

I had one hen that was a real bully. I separated her for awhile. Now she is back with the flock and ok.

I have a 16 week old soon to be dispatched roo that has mastered all but a couple of the hens.

Amazing... and a 9 month old roo who is yet to do the deed.

Back
Top Bottom