Will her flight feathers grow back?

ChookyBirbs

Hatching
Mar 28, 2018
I'm new to raising hens. I got my chicks last spring (2017). When my young chickens were around 6 months last fall my one hens, Beanie a barred rock and self proclaimed leader of the flock of 4, started 'flying the coop'. She jump the 6' fence and the others along with her. So I did what I do with my parakeets and cut her flight feathers to keep her from flying, thinking they would grow back since they molted their wing and tail feathers just recently. I only cut the feathers back on her wing drums and left the ones on the tips for self defense. She went through her second molt during mid winter and my hens have yet to molt their wing feathers at all. Only 2 hens molted during the winter, one the barred rock. But they both only molted their head, body, and tail and I'm wondering if they molt their flight feathers at all. They are flightless birds and the feathers cut were very thick. Don't get me wrong, she does fine with her wings and it doesn't bother her. She still can jump as high as her sisters. I have found nothing on the subject and I'm just hoping I didn't ruin her wings permanently...

The feathers should grow back during the next full molt. Chicks go through juvenile molts and then usually don't do a full adult molt until the second year, so this fall, late summer, whenever they start, they will probably grow back then. They may do a soft molt that is barely noticeable or a hard molt that looks like a feather explosion, and it can vary year to year. Depending on the breed, they may be heavy enough in the body by then that you don't have to clip again, just depends on the bird. Hope that helps.

The feathers should grow back during the next full molt. Chicks go through juvenile molts and then usually don't do a full adult molt until the second year, so this fall, late summer, whenever they start, they will probably grow back then. They may do a soft molt that is barely noticeable or a hard molt that looks like a feather explosion, and it can vary year to year. Depending on the breed, they may be heavy enough in the body by then that you don't have to clip again, just depends on the bird. Hope that helps.
Glad to hear that! I hope so. Thank you

Do not worry, they will grow back next full molt. I was given a hen with cut wings and she molted and now has beautiful new wing feathers now. Worry not, nature will take care of it!
:frow
Great! I was just nervous since they hadn't after her last molt. I have parakeets and they molt almost monthly. I'll just need to be patient. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom