Will Herbs affect the taste of eggs?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by nittanyxi, Oct 20, 2011.

1. nittanyxi

nittanyxi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    Are there some herbs that will ruin the taste of eggs if the chickens eat them?

2. Rte.66_chicks

Rte.66_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Kingman, AZ
    I can't say if they would flavor the eggs, but I have sage, oregano, rosemary, catnip, and thyme where the chickens can get to them. Other than an episode of them hiding eggs in the sage, they don't bother them at all. Just protect the herbs if they are young enough that they could be scratched out by the feathered landscapers looking for tasty invertebrates.

3. GardenState38

GardenState38 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    I've only heard that garlic and onions could affect egg flavor. But if it makes the eggs taste like garlic or onion, I'd consider that pre-seasoning!
    I was wondering if rose petals could produce rose-scented eggs [​IMG] My girls devour rose petals and I had a brainstorm of getting a cherry-egger and feeding it a diet rich in rose petals...I could then sell Rose-Scented eggs for $8 a piece![​IMG]

4. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Quote:[​IMG]

5. ALRwild

ALRwild Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Idaho
    All I know is that various spices can effect their eggs taste. I don't think that many herbs would mess up the taste of the egg too much, but the best way to find out is to try it out yourself.

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Mine won't eat any strong herbs. They love parsley though and it has no affect at all on their eggs besides making the yolks super orange.

7. bloom_ss

bloom_ss Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Spokane Valley, WA
    Quote:That's good to know! My girls LOVE parsley!

8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:That's good to know! My girls LOVE parsley!

They will go nuts over carrot greens too. And beet greens. [​IMG] (not herbs, but they love them!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by