Will I have Roostercicles in the morning?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by WriterofWords, Dec 27, 2008.

1. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    It's 32 already, supposed to get down to 15. Sparkle, LaRoo, Luau, and Nugget refuse to come on the porch. Sparkle and LaRoo are in the tree and Luau and Nugget are snuggled together on the table under the tree. It's cute, Luau is under Nugget's wing like a chick, he's small roo. But the two morons in the tree worry me the most! Will I come out to find petrified stupid Roos?
    Turk and Tux and sleeping together in a box with straw on the porch, Blue, Penny, and the Sisters are on their usual perch under the light on the porch. I'm leaving it on for a little warmth for them, but they could get in the big trough nest, they all would fit with the others too if they would band together. The rest of the birds are in coop,, except for the ducks, who are plastered together behind the bushes up against the house.
    But the ones in the tree,,, we can't get to them to force them out of the tree, so I guess if they freeze I can thaw them out, say I told you so, and then bury them. Morons.

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

See, chickens have survived years and years without our interference. However, we lock them up at night with a heater. [​IMG]

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Well, I've never had a chicken (or a guinea, for that matter) fly into a tree, much less spend the night in one. They'll probably be fine, though.

4. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    This is true,,, animals seem to survive just fine until we interfere with their natural abilities. I know I won't be sleeping tonight, I'll be staring out my bedroom window waiting for them to fall out of their tree.

5. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Quote:I have tree chickens,,, these guys sleep in the tree huddled together every night. Fuzzy butt sleeps with them too unless she goes in the coop, which she did tonight.

6. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Since mine are cooped I don't worry about the trees, but we have a wide 4 rung ladder in there that my fiance made and there are times when I see all 13 of them trying to get on the top rung!

And tomorrow my babies are going to the outdoor brooder for integration..... YEAH!!!!

7. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Oooh, my hens used to do that! I would go out with a stick, gently nudge them off the branch and put them inside somewhere. Don't know that I'd try that with Nugget tho- he might get mad............ and NEVER wake up Nugget!

8. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    They go too far up to nudge with a stick, they are about 20 - 25 feet off the ground. That's why I can't them the sneaky, feathered, suckers!

9. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Those tree 'roosters' are a hardy bunch. If it's too cold for them up there tonight, they'll find elsewhere to roost tomorrow.

10. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    I had a few that roosted outside for a few days at -20. They came through it just fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by