Will I need different kinds of DE?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by de kippendame, May 27, 2011.

1. de kippendame

de kippendame Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2011
    South Central IA
    Ok, I think I understand well enough that the DE keeps things dry, keeps worms out of chickies guts, and keeps pests(fleas, mites, etc.) away. According to Perma-Guard's website, "Fossil Shell Flour" is the food grade DE. They also have a DE available for dusting pets it is labeled D-20. My question is, do I need them both or can the fossil shell flour do it all??? I'm getting my chicks form Murray McMurray and they also have 2 different DE's, one for ingestion and one for dusting. Just wondering what you all do? Thanks!

2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    they also have 2 different DE's, one for ingestion and one for dusting. Just wondering what you all do?

If it's not "food grade" it's not safe to breath
    There's no benefit to ingesting DE.

If you want to kill a few bugs, it will work.
    If you want to dry things up a little, it will work

If you think it will do all the things the sites selling it CLAIM it will do, don't waste the money.​

3. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Fossil flour. I bought a 50lb bag 4 years ago and need to get more soon. I fling it on everything. Dogs, cats, chickens, mix it in their feed to kill bugs (had a mouse fall in to the barrell, dried that sucker out completely!!! Think Mouse Mummy!!!) Works on flies, put it around the base of your veggies and flowers to keep slugs away--use it at night so you don't harm good bugs and bees flyiing around. Only use it at the base of plants!!!!

Only thing I haven't found it effective on has been Fire Ants.

4. de kippendame

de kippendame Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2011
    South Central IA
    Quote:Thanks for the info! This really helps! I figured I would be able to just get the fossil flour and not have any problems! Also, Perma-Gaurd's website says they have a formulation for fire ants, and reading into it, it says to make sure you kill the queen! Thanks again!
    http://perma-guard.com/fireants.html

5. w8tn4fresheggs

w8tn4fresheggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2007
    Nebraska

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by